*UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion**

When is the decision coming out ?

25th

Is it a full listed of MET or partially?

My understanding is that a student only needs to meet the minimum 3.3 GPA requirement of the three pre-requisite courses to declare L&S CS. You may find this article from a Cal student helpful in understanding the process. She discusses each of the pre-req classes, amount of work, grading, when to declare and the appeal processā€¦very informative.

https://awe.berkeley.edu/2020/04/23/guide-to-declaring-cs/

1 Like

Thatā€™s super helpful.

Declaring Data Science major seems super easy in comparison:
Declaring The Major | CDSS at UC Berkeley

@chiatefan Iā€™m not sure but it seems like itā€™s a big group he was chatting with. Iā€™m not sure how many get in each year

Thanks for sharing.

I got in last month as a regents candidate and could see my fin aid offer before on cal central but now I canā€™t anymore. anyone else having this problem?

Same here, I did see a notification in CalCentral that fin aid will not be available for few days-possibly for decision day - nothing to be concerned about!

I noticed that the portal says ā€œon or before March 25ā€ for decisions. Are we thinking it could be sooner or will it be 3/25?

It will be 3/25. they specifically said that in their email after regents were released.

ā€œFreshman decisions will be released approximately late afternoon / early evening (Pacific time) on March 25, 2021, via the MAP@Berkeley portalā€

1 Like

iā€™ve heard a lot of people say that UCLA decisions are more based on grades/academics while Berkeley is more holistic. is that true? if so im so worried because i was rejected from UCLA even though my academics are probably the strongest part of my application. i really wanna get into berkeley so im hoping that they somehow pull through :((

Each campus evaluates the applicants differently using the same criteria but different weighting systems. All the UCā€™s are holistic and all consider GPA, HS course rigor and the essays Very important. There is no way to determine your chances based on the outcomes of the other UCā€™s.

4 Likes

Does anyone know anything about political economy major? Is it competitive?

At least at my school, being in the top 1-2 percent is almost a deadlock for UCLA (Iā€™m in state) even if their stats arenā€™t as ā€œstrongā€ but there are always more random spurs of kids who get into Berkeley! So maybe.

@parentjunior17: She is very interested in CCS and loves UCSB but we live in SB and she wants to get away

CCS can be great for the right student since it tries to give some of the grad-school experience to undergrads. Kids get an advisor which can be helpful in navigating a large U. They can enroll in just about any course they want (undergrad or grad) if they feel ready even if they donā€™t have the official prerequisites. CCS cares a lot about fit; this year makes it hard to meet in person but I think if CCS is contacted they could set up a phone or zoom call to talk about the program, perhaps also with a current student

That said, I can understand why a kid living in SB wants to try a different area for college so that may be a deciding factor

Does anyone know what time Berkeley will be releasing the decisions

1 Like

Post #576 a few posts above.

Wait, this is obviously a little late in the game, but the UC schools donā€™t take recā€™s unless asked for right?

1 Like

Correct.