*UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion**

@TheGreatGatsby7: UC’s consider all three UC GPA’s (unweighted, capped weighted and fully weighted). They will consider your HS course rigor in the context of your HS offerings along with the # of a-g courses beyond the minimum completed.

UC’s use 14 areas of criteria (minus SAT/ACT scores this year) to determine admission decisions and each campus may weight each area differently.

The UC’s are pretty transparent in what they are looking for in their applicants vs. other schools, but at this point it is what it is.

Most students will find that they will “bloom where planted” when it comes down which school they end up attending. My experience with my sons and numerous relatives has been that the Name of the school matters little in most cases. Where you go for Undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with the opportunities you are given that make you successful.

3 Likes

@Supergirl77: Fully weighted UC GPA is 10-11th grades for the a-g courses with an unlimited # of Honors points in the UC GPA calculation. Maximum 5.0

1 Like

Thanks

Well said

I am glad that the UCs look at all three weighted GPAs, but I agree with you that the capped is frustrating for kids who took more classes than required and unless every last class is weighted, the GPA goes down. I get the purpose of capped, it’s an equalizer across schools that may have varying offerings. I’m hopeful that rigor and attempts to accelerate through summer courses, etc. is given as much weight as is suggested by gumbymom.

1 Like

Most students will find that they will “bloom where planted” when it comes down which school they end up attending. My experience with my sons and numerous relatives has been that the Name of the school matters little in most cases. Where you go for Undergrad will not define you, it is what you do with the opportunities you are given that make you successful.
Trust me my dad always say that. You can go to top university and learn nothing or a mediocre and outshine there. It all depends on you how you make best use of your opportunities.

1 Like

Does anyone know when Berkeley Regents announcements will come out???

Berkeley Regents Date
Going by Last few year trends it is either 2/5 or 2/12
2020: 2/7
2019: 2/8
2019: 2/9
2017: 2/10
2016: 2/12
(All 1st / 2nd Fridays of Feb)

3 Likes

Is there a usual UC capped GPA to be considered for regents? Mine isn’t SUPER high (4.25 capped, 4.5 weighted,) but I am in state with good ecs and essays.

Here is a link to an excellent post:

thank you!

Can you explain how exactly you figure out your capped gpa? Clueless here.:joy:

@college2019bound:

Here is the UC GPA calculator. Instructions are included in the link:

https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/

It will calculate your Unweighted, Capped weighted and Fully weighted UC GPA. Any questions, you can PM me.

Thanks for the capped GPA calculator below.
What are chances of my dd getting into either UCSB, UCLA or UCB?
Her gpa’s according to the calc link are:
Unweighted GPA: 4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.66
Capped/Weighted: 4.25
She has amazing Extra Curr, sports and essays. An overall great kid! :slightly_smiling_face:
Chances?

@college2019bound: Your daughter looks competitive but as I keep telling all applicants that UCB and UCLA are Reach schools. UCSB looks like a target school based on what you have posted. I am not admission officer and if I were, I would probably admit everyone that applied since the majority are qualified applicants.

Intended major, EC’s and personal insight essays can set her apart so difficult to say either way.

Here are the updated admit numbers for all applicants (in-state, OOS and International).

2020 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 37%
UCLA: 38%
UCSB: 81%

2020 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:

UCB: 4.22 (4.13-4.30)
UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.31)
UCSB: 4.15 (4.03-4.27)

Best of luck to her.

1 Like

Hi, would you know when the early decisions for UCB would be released. MET is usually released around 8th Feb. Would it earlier this year because 5th is Friday

Sorry no clue. With an increase in applicants and Covid, the timeline may be similar or delayed?

Thanks

UC Berkeley has very good live chat platform. You can try to communicate through that on Monday.

Thanks supergirl. On their website?