*UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion**

Yes UC Berkeley undergraduate admissions contact. They are pretty active after 9am

I wonder how they will deal with the fact that many kids have a lower UC GPA than they would have since the second semester of junior year was Pass/Not Pass at many schools during the unexpected switch to remote learning.

1 Like

Wasn’t part of the reason for going P/NP was to avoid remote learning having a negative influence on GPA? A grade of Pass is not given a numeric value, and therefore is not factored into the GPA.

Yes. But more As and As in weighted classes would have raised the GPA. All of the high performing kids at our high school have lower GPAs than they would have if not for P/NP.

2 Likes

A GPA alone does not tell the whole story. Even kids with high weighted GPAs can have neglected to take certain AP classes that colleges hold in high regard. Kids with lower weighted GPAs may not have had may AP/IB classes offered at their school. So, I wouldn’t worry too much as long as the grades themselves are good and the curriculum challenging.

Our HS went P/NP for 2nd semester junior year because remote learning quickly highlighted the inequities for the lower SES kids.

Being a higher SES family, we wanted the grades to be published. D21 was “disadvantaged” (GPA-wise) by going N/NP.

3 Likes

Based on the FAQ, one has to apply for financial aid to be considered. So for those not qualified for financial aid due to family income, they are out of luck for such scholarships?

School counselor said that in a UC meeting for counselors, she was told they were planning to account for this issue specifically somehow. I was wondering if anyone knew more. Our school typically sends 20-25% of the graduating class to a UC.

@newzar No. Read it again. If you apply their the reg app processed you’re considered.

1. Do I need to submit an application to be considered for the Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship? All students who apply to UC Berkeley are automatically considered for the scholarship. This includes California resident, out-of-state, and international students entering from high school as well as transfer students. If you are not selected as a candidate, there are many other university scholarships for which you will be considered. Remember to apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are eligible for any university scholarships, the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office will notify you in April.

1 Like

Hi everyone! I applied to UC Berkeley and I don’t really know much about how admission works. I wanted to know if there’s a specific date that decisions come out or if it’s a rolling schedule where decisions come out in “waves”? Does this apply to all UC schools?

It’s possible to receive early admission if you’re a Regents & Chancellors recipient. All other decisions are released at the end of March for UC Berkeley. The other UCs have their own timelines.

Everyone is considered for regents and chancellor’s scholarships. If you have need, then you receive additional need based financial aid. If you do not have financial need, then you still receive the regents and depending on the UC anywhere between $2K to $10K per year. UCB is $2500 I believe and for UCLA its $2000. the other UCs are more generous with the Scholarship.

2 Likes

@newzar: UC Regents Scholarships and the amounts/year:
Amount: Awards vary by campus and are not transferable if you transfer to another UC campus.

• UC Berkley $2,500
  • UC Davis $7,500
  • UC Irvine $5,000
  • UCLA $2,000
  • UC Merced $7,000
  • UC Riverside $10,000
  • UC San Diego $2,000
  • UC Santa Barbara $6,000
  • UC Santa Cruz $5,000

In addition, certain perks are provided to Regents recipients: priority registration, extended library privileges, honors dormitories, faculty mentorship, and others, dependent upon campus.

Historically, both UCB and UCLA have provided higher amounts for Regent scholars that have financial need however, it is not clearly stated if OOS and International students are included in the extra need based FA.

UCLA specifically states: The Regents Scholarship need-based award is determined annually and is designed to supplement the Cal Grant A and B programs, Pell Grant and other outside scholarship awards

UCB also states: Scholars with financial need are awarded a scholarship up to their full need as assessed by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

Number of Scholarships Awarded: Varies annually—students in the top 1-2% of the applicant pool are considered for the scholarship.

Eligible Students: Entering freshman or transfer student who demonstrate academic excellence (based upon GPA, standardized test scores, and other academic criteria) along with personal accomplishments. Must be a US Citizen, Permanent Resident or CA Dream Act Student. Students must be enrolled full time and maintain a 3.25 GPA in order to continue receiving the scholarship.

2 Likes

@mbt2025:

These UC’s will post decisions all on the same day: UCLA, UCB, UCD and UCSB.

Early admits such as Regents and Chancellor scholarship winners usually happen in February for UCB and UCSB.

UCLA will notify Regent scholars on decision day in March.

UCI will notify Regent scholars and CHP (Honors college) recipients their decision in Late February. UCI will do most of their decisions in waves Mid-March.

UCD Regents are notified on decision day in March along with all of the rest of the applicants.

UCSD had an early admit/calling campaign for Regent recipients a few weeks prior to their decision day but that did not happen last year and not sure if it will continue this year. UCSD use to have all decisions posted the same day but over the last few years, they have been doing decision waves Mid-Late March.

UCSC had some early admits last year in February. They usually have all decisions posted in one day but done hourly based on last name starting at Midnight. Last year they did admission decision waves.

UCR and UCM posts decisions in waves.

11 Likes

Does anyone know the day Berkeley releases their Regents invite/early notification.

Only the Berkeley admission team “Know” the date - all other mortals can do a guess :grinning:

Berkeley Regents Date
Going by Last few year trends it is either 2/5 or 2/12
2020: 2/7
2019: 2/8
2019: 2/9
2017: 2/10
2016: 2/12
(All 1st / 2nd Fridays of Feb)

3 Likes

Berkeley pushed back the application last date by 1 week to Dec 4. So Regents dates likely be pushed back by 1 week to 2/12.

Anyone received the usual ‘first year pathways’ email that Berkeley sends around this time every year? We haven’t yet

I haven’t either

2 Likes

Is there a chance the Berkeley Regents and MET etc decisions come out today?