UC Berkeley Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

i think he meant due to the fact that they overenrolled in 2020 and 2021 that is why it is slower this year. And they cannot close the waitlist until end of june due to their commitment to staying fair and equal

2 Likes

In 2020, the acceptance rate of waiting list is considerable, but this year only some people received FPF program offer :cold_face::cold_face::melting_face:

Just curious, you know someone who got off the waitlist this year ? I thought according to the discussion forum, nobody got off the waitlist yet.

1 Like

I have a kid who is going into his senior year at Berkeley and one who is graduating high school and is on the wait list for Berkeley currently. I got an email on May 24 about homecoming and I can’t figure out if I got it for my current Cal student or my wait listed one so I am wondering if any other parents got an email that starts:

Congrats on being a brand-new Cal parent

Since my in-state daughter has not heard anything about her wait list and my son only has one more year at Berkeley, I can’t figure out what that means and if this was a mistake.

Has anyone else with a wait listed kid gotten an email about homecoming that starts with that phrase?

I got this email as well and I have a rising Junior at Cal and no current applicants.

there were a few wl students who got in via the fpf program around 3 weeks ago ish if you go back far enough youll see

its how it has always been with waitlists even cals wl last year

its the same with ivy leagues etc, theyll keep the wailist open till july or august even if they are fully enrolled incase they need to pull a few students off the waitlist cuz some ppl dropped out suddenely

basically its their safety net

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. It was so confusing since it said welcome to a brand new Cal parent and my son is going into his last year.
I checked with a couple of other friends who also have kids who are already there and they did not get this email. I wonder why some people got it and some people didn’t and why they would use that phrasing. It’s very confusing for people who have other kids on the waitlist!

Thanks. My coworker’s daugther got off the waitlist on May 2(!!) several years ago. Biology major.
That is why it was so frustrating to wait this long without updates. I guess Berkeley justifies it by saying they are doing us a favor by trying their best to accept as many as possible. And for the part that no general updates, they justifies it by saying you should know what you get yourself into by talking to other parents/students.

Just wondering, how many of us here are waiting non-urgently? e.g. we already committed to schools like ucla, uc san diego, ivys, 
etc. How many of us are waiting urgently? e.g. committed to schools outside top 30.

My elder kid was waitlisted in 2020 and got a response only late June .

Hi, I just talked with a Berkeley counselor. They have no dates. If an opening happens then they will act. If not, then they will ultimately give out rejection letters. But the waitlist will be open all summer long. My two cents. Nothing will change with their horrible system until someone does something. They are banking on the idea that no one will care anymore after this year. Then another class of waitlist freshmen will come in and start the next thread. If someone wants to change the system then you have to do it now. Example: everyone call the president of Berkeley every hour, get an article in a paper, etc. unless someone wants to do something you are stuck in a bad situation.

6 Likes

did they say they are full or over enrolled?

Gary2910, what was the response? Accept or reject?

wait perhaps but my friend last year got off out of the blue in july

Were they a freshman and do you mean he got off the waitlist at Berkeley in July for 2021 fall?

Today I thought of looking over the last year cycle(2021 fall) on the Berkeley waitlist/appeal thread. On June 1 they sent out a decision(yes or no) for all the freshman appeals. For waitlists on that same day they sent out an email saying that they are extending their waitlist. Wondering what could be their reasoning to not notify the appeals nor the waitlists about anything yet?

2 Likes

Got rejected

i was also waitlisted from LMU at few months before and still have not gotten a definitive rejection from them. However, when I contacted their admissions, they said the enrolled freshman class was full and that they do not send out waitlist rejections until August. I’m thinking that Berkeley may be encountering a similar situation

I guess they are holding out in hopes of someone pulling out for another school, but I feel like they would start sending rejections and gradually send more over time

i haven’t got anything about my appeal though so idk what’s going on there