UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Thank you so much!

With the situation around “High Demand Majors”, personally I wouldn’t go to UC Berkeley, or any other college for that matter, without a confirmed major. UCB is extremely competitive. I wouldn’t put myself into a position of spending 4 years to earn a useless (to me) degree. Speaking as a Cal alumni.

1 Like

Huh? With the direct admit policy there is actually a major guarantee. If anything people shouldn’t have applied to LS CS in prior years. Cals best days are actually ahead after these policy changes.

5 Likes

is ucla or berkeley more undergrad focused?

I would say they are equal. Both are large and resource constrained. Unless you are in a particular small program (what major are you talking about?), they will be similar kinds of experiences.

I think you could make an argument for both schools. I don’t know that one is geared more for undergrads. Depends also on your major. They are very different campuses, so the big question is what kind of college experience do you want.

1 Like

Didn’t you read how many people received an admit letter to LS without a clearly stated major?

I was under the impression that in L&S, unless you we’re accepted with one of the following majors ( * Art Practice.* Computer Science.* Economics.* Global Studies.* Media Studies.* Operations Research & Management Science. * Political Economy. or * Psychology.), then you are undeclared no matter what you put down for your major.

Up until this year, every L&S admit was admitted as undeclared

For the 12 high-demand majors at Cal, there is no direct admit – Cal does not call it “direct admit.” However, if you selected a high-demand major on your application and were admitted, you are guaranteed a spot.

3 Likes

Exactly.

All it takes is a simple email or call or convo during Cal day or another admitted students meeting to clarify this. No need to give up on a coveted Cal admit for a problem that is non-existent.

4 Likes

i’m confused. i applied for cs and got in but apparently everyone admitted in l&s is undeclared? am i guaranteed to get cs assuming i meet all the requirements and stuff since that’s what i applied for?

1 Like

Did anyone get a SEED Scholar Honors invite?
Literally just found this attached to the acceptance letter now, trying to find more info.

1 Like

You’re fine. You applied under CS, you were accepted under CS. None of the L & S acceptance letters included a major. Call to confirm, but all is well.

My son was accepted for physics, I’m not concerned.

2 Likes

Yes my daughter just noticed it as well. Is your child applying?

1 Like

Some perspective for those who weren’t accepted - getting into UC Berkeley or any top school is MUCH harder today than it used to be. I graduated from UC Berkeley (class of 1990) and Columbia (class of 1994). My stats? 1240 SAT, 3.9 GPA, 1 AP class (with a score of a 3) and my only EC was track/cross-country (and I wasn’t particularly good). Back then, I got into Cal & UCLA (rejected from Stanford) and those were the only 3 schools I applied to because those stats basically guaranteed admission at that time. So if you’re wondering why you didn’t get in when your parents did, many of those people (including me) wouldn’t have a chance of getting in today!

12 Likes

Congratulations.
Please can you give your stats

Same here. Berkeley class of 1999. My stats: 3.86 GPA, only 1 AP (Calculus), 4 years of cheerleading (1 year as captain), some volunteering. Accepted to Berkeley, UCLA, NYU, USC. The only rejection was Stanford. Today, I would be lucky to get waitlisted. This generation has it tough.

5 Likes

D23 Waitlisted. Biology, OOS
4.0UW / 4.6 UC WGPA
16 years APs
28 years a-g classes
Editor-in-Chief, founded two large clubs, varsity, part-time job, city volunteer award, 4th-gen college student, no hooks.

Accepted: UCLA and rest of other UC schools, UMICH, NYU, NEU, CPSLO, CPP, and Purdue.
WL: UCB, UVA, UW-Madison
Rejected: USC, Cornell (ED)

This completes our admissions cycle. Thanks again to @Gumbymom @lkg4answers and all the forum champions here for their outstanding support. They were absolutely critical in making my D23’s college admissions such a huge success! Thank you!

5 Likes

awesome :clap: where is she headed?