UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

The College of Natural Resources has its own welcome event as well, so any students in CNR have a chance to hear from the dean, meet students/advisors in their major, connect with other admitted students, and interact with some of the clubs (Forestry Club, etc.).

check the department website if a specific event is planned.

1 Like

my daughter is in that college. where can i see more info?

i looked on the website, but there was nothing under events.

Received the Berkeley large packet in the mail today!

Oddly enough, USPS informed delivery did not inform me of its arrival.

1 Like

my daughter is still deciding too and Cal Day will be a determine her decision

Big package arrived today! I was hoping for stickers, lol. Has anyone seen any specific events for Cal Day for letters and sciences? Specifically physics?

Regret about housing and food for four years or regret about Not going to Cal for life …go bears

We signed up for Cal Day on 4/22. Is the Berkeley Engineering tour part of the Cal Day, or it’s a separate tour we need to sign up in addition. Son is admitted to Mech E as well, super interested in what you found with that major. How many people in MechE major at Berkeley? I thought there would be a large number of MechE major like many engineering programs.

Separate events. check out engineering cal day website which lists events. 600-800 in MechE (numbers differ on Berkeley websites). EECS is largest over 1700.

1 Like

Not really.

My daughter got High Demand major and no major mentioned in acceptance letter. But we know another parent with non-high demand major who got acceptance with Major declared (L&S)

So looks like its for HD major only they have conditions!

I believe MechE is about 200 in each year. The top 3 are EECS, MechE, and BioE in that order.

1 Like

Acceptance to non-high demand major should have major called out in acceptance letter. At least I know someone who did (L&S), now Iam drawing blank!

a lot of the tables set up on Sproul Plaza on Cal Day will have buttons and stickers. I could always use more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“1. anyone have a student already in this major (Global Studies) and can tell us more about the level of demand of it. Does it have the grade deflation that everyone talks about?”

Our D19 seems to do a LOT of reading! Many students are top notch (when compared to the typical strong Cal student).
However, she really enjoys Global Studies and is doing well with an “A” average thus far (she’s a grinder and focused like my wife).

1 Like

Transfer decisions haven’t been released yet.

I understand. The “16%” reference is incorrect, and the original person who said it was probably using the a number they found that included freshmen and transfers from last year. Last years freshmen admit percentage was 11.4%.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/berkeley/freshman-admit-data.html

2 Likes

Nope, the acceptance letter does not specify the major, just letters and sciences.

First time attending Cal day as a parent, and never attended as a student back in the day.
Is there anything you think we shouldn’t miss? Anything school spirit related I would be all over.
Also, is the event mainly concentrated around Sproul?

We are planning on attending the Chancellor’s welcome at Memorial and touring some of the southside dorms if they are open.

1 Like

The 16% reference is not explained by adding in transfer admissions. But for anyone particularly interested in acceptance rates, here’s the best source:

From UC Berkeley’s 2022-2023 Common Data Set submission:

Freshman: Admits = 14,614; Applicants = 128,226; Acceptance rate = 11.4%
Transfers: Admits = 4,714; Applicants = 19,380; Acceptance rate = 24.3%
Grand Total: Admits = 19,328; Applicants = 147,606; Acceptance rate = 13.1%

Here’s the same data for UCLA, using UCLA’s 2022-2023 Common Data Set:

Freshman: Admits = 12,844; Applicants = 149,815; Acceptance rate = 8.6%
Transfers: Admits = 6,130; Applicants = 25,099; Acceptance rate = 24.4%
Grand Total: Admits = 18,974; Applicants = 174,914; Acceptance rate = 10.8%

Acceptance rates for the “Class of 2027” (ie., freshman entering Fall of 2023) for both UC Berkeley and UCLA will likely be published in early- to mid-August as part of the UC system-wide release of current year admissions data.

1 Like