UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

For Bowles College housing.

FYI: Some issues with dorms because of a lot of rain this year.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/uc-berkeley-students-report-water-damage-in-dorms-17889558.php

for Cal Day, are we able to view housing? Do they have tours on the dorms?

Last year I don’t believe there were tours, but covid precautions were different. There was tons of housing information set up in the courtyard of Unit 1 and lots of people to ask questions. I recommend looking on YouTube and searching for Berkeley dorm videos. There are lots of Cal created videos as well as many student vloggers who provide pretty good information. I also highly recommend to families to eat at a dining hall on Cal Day (or whenever you visit).

1 Like

Our tour guide at UCSD on Triton Day said as much this past weekend. He said “Google ‘[Dorm Name, College Name] Tour’ and see what pops up.” This is how we figured out what our son’s dorm at a different UC looked like. They weren’t letting kids inside any dorms on admitted students day.

is neurobiology a capped major?

1 Like

which dining hall would you recommend?

It really depends on what dorm(s) your student is most interested in. If they are looking at Units 1-3 try Crossroads (Croads) or Cafe 3, Foothill and Clark Kerr have their own dining halls.

1 Like

Here are the high demand majors in L&S.

1 Like

my daughter was admitted into the Rausser college of natural resources for Microbial Biology. She now wants to change to neurobiology or molecular biology which is in the letters of science college. Is this change possible?

1 Like

she hasn’t researched much into dorms. Which ones should she look into? is there designated freshman dorms?

Here is the general information to change from CNR to L&S and how to declare your L&S major.

If you are an undergraduate in another UC Berkeley college and are interested in changing into the College of Letters and Science (L&S), this page will provide an overview of eligibility criteria, how to apply, and important deadlines.

https://lsadvising.berkeley.edu/majors-minors/change-colleges-letters-and-science

At Freshman orientation, she can consult with her academic advisor to determine her course plan to change into L&S MCB with an emphasis Neurobiology.

MCB is not an impacted major. Therefore, we will accept any interested student who meets the minimum course and GPA requirements and is realistically able to complete the major requirements during the student’s remaining time at Cal. Any student intending to major in MCB must finish declaring or complete MCB conditions to declare by the end of their 6th semester, or during the semester before their graduating term (if this semester is before their 6th semester).

1 Like

thank you for the info. If i’m reading and understanding correctly, looks like she will have to request after taking one semester in Rausser College?

Yes, she can apply to change colleges after 1 semester in CNR and then would complete the rest of the MCB/Neurobiology course requirements to declare the major in L&S.

Has your daughter decided on Berkeley instead of UCSD?

I would strongly encourage your daughter to try CNR before transferring to L&S. CNR is a smaller college with more accessible advising and resources than L&S.

2 Likes

The first year major prep classes for Microbiology Biology and MCB/Neurobiology look identical with so she can try the CNR major for the first year before deciding to switch majors/colleges.

Again, working with the Academic advisor at orientation will help with the best path forward.

1 Like

They are all Freshman dorms. There will be more information at Cal Day and in the app soon. For sure it would be good to go ask questions near Unit 1 to understand all the options. Cafe 3 or Crossroads would probably be most convenient for Cal Day unless your student is specifically interested in Foothill, Stern or Clark Kerr. Also, good to understand the pricing differences.

1 Like

she has not decided yet! We visited Triton Day last weekend with Regent Scholars Event on Friday. she really loved the program and what it had to offer especially since they got to do a lab experiment at the SD medical school but she is still considering Cal and has applied for SEED and is waiting to hear back. We will visit Cal day and hopefully she will decide soon! apparently Rausser college is more of nature science and biology and she would want to change out of that field. But since she will need to try CNR one semester before applying to change out, maybe she will see she likes it afterall!

thank you for this info! I will pass it on to my daughter

thank you for the link. Looks like the UNITS and Blackwell would be good options. Is Blackwell hard to get into?considering its new? Between the 3 units, which one is more popular?