UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

If all they need is the email ID can that be identified prior to the completion of the activation. Looks like the need is to simply provide a Berkeley.edu email as part of the Bowles application.

For those of you who are still on the fence. This may help

4 Likes

Am I allowed to take community college courses over the summer before going to Berkeley? I was admitted as a freshman class of 2027 and wanted to take some courses to get credits.

1 Like

Yes, you can take CC classes after HS graduation only in the summer prior to matriculating at UCB.

Do I have to let Berkeley know and fill out the changes in admissions form!?

I would let UCB know your plans just to be sure but not necessary.

No. Just have your CC send a transcript.

got it thank you :slight_smile:

@parents, have you received any admitted email from UCB? It’s strange that UCB has not sent any emails to parents yet.

I have received nothing from UCB.

UCB does not seem to like to communicate with parents at all really. In fact, I recently tried to call to discuss the financial aid package and they specifically said that once a student has committed they will ONLY talk to the student, not the parent. They refused to discuss anything at all with me (which I get and actually appreciate, although I’m the one who’s on the hook for the bill, so I did need some info lol).

Anyway, I think they prefer to establish a straight line of communication directly with the student. That’s probably a good thing and helps establish the expectation that college is primarily the student’s business, not the parents’. They must take full responsibility for it as the adults they are becoming.

2 Likes

Well, at least they should send one email congratulate the parents, like all other UCs.

I’m sure I didn’t receive anything from them so, at any rate, you’re not alone :slight_smile:

Did you receive an email from CalParents@berkeley.edu?

I received one today, from the Director of Parent Services & Communications at this address.

I will say that at the Cal Day morning address in the stadium, the very dynamic speaker who runs enrollment & undergrad admissions for Cal did acknowledge all the family, friends, caregivers, and others who helped the student along the way.

I guess I’d find it a bit strange for UC Berkeley to send me, as a parent, anything congratulating me for my kid’s admission. I don’t believe I got anything from UCLA admissions along those lines either. I am fully confident that the UC system will know where to reach us when it comes time to pay tuition and other costs of attendance!

1 Like

Nope, haven’t received anything from that address (just checked my email and spam box, just in case).

1 Like

There are legal reasons they can’t talk about a student’s financial info. Students can delegate parents or other family members within their CalCentral portal and once that’s done it will not be a problem if you need to call to discuss financial information. Look under the Academics tab.

As a Cal parent I get a lot of communication from Cal, not specific to my student, but in general to the community. Cal Parents and Families seems to send a monthly email newsletter

1 Like

For UCB housing plan fans:

Those who were unable to attend Cal Day may find some of these links useful:

Thank you. I’m really hoping they will post more videos. I attended Bruin Day and the science department put on a wonderful presentation but I was unable to attend Cal Day so hoping they post something similar so I can compare.

1 Like

Also, does anyone know if Berkeley has anything similar to the First Year UCLA Cluster Program? I love how this program tackles an interdisciplinary topic while allowing you to fulfill GE’s and build relationships with students/faculty in your cohort throughout the year. It reminds me of Duke’s FOCUS program or WashU’s Ampersand program. Anything similar at Cal?

https://www.uei.ucla.edu/academic-programs/ucla-cluster-program/