UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

My son got an email in his UC Berkeley account

my daughter logged in to her housing portal, where is the offer located?

1 Like

The offer was in the email - then we clicked on the link in the email to go to the housing portal to accept it. I can’t see where in the housing portal right now because the site is down - will check later.

1 Like

The offers are coming out in waves apparently. Not everyone has an offer yet

she found it!! she got unit 2- says RH std double? how do we know which building?

1 Like

great! I assume we find out the building later when we find out roommate information.

1 Like

yes, my daughter did not receive a housing offer yet. I guess it doesn’t pay to turn in the housing application the same week you were accepted to the university.

1 Like

D didn’t even tell me she got her housing assignment yesterday, but she did and got her first choice and is super excited. She hasn’t been able to accept the offer yet, though, because it sounds like the housing portal is jammed up.

3 Likes

Yes the roommate and which room and building come in July. This is what is says in my daughters email she received…

Move-In for Fall 2023 will take place on August 15, 2023, and August 16, 2023. You will be assigned a date based on your housing location. In July, you will receive detailed move-in instructions, including how to sign up for a move-in time slot on your move-in day.

Cal Housing will try to honor roommate requests for first-year students. In some cases, it may not be possible to keep you with your requested roommate. If you have a requested roommate, we encourage you to consult with them about the housing offer they received, and if it is in the same room type and location as your assignment, it is likely you were placed together. Roommate placements will be confirmed and contact information shared in late July/early August.

2 Likes

awesome! what did she get? mine got unit 2 double

Anyone have info on the Den or the Standard apartments? are they furnished and are they hard to get into?
TIA

Blackwell double - she didn’t think she had a chance, so was very happily surprised. I think it helps to apply with a roommate - the way housing explained it to us at Cal Day, applying with a roommate essentially gives you two chances to get a good draw in the lottery since whoever gets the better spot will pull the listed roommate along with them.

that’s great news! my daughter applied with a roommate too but she got Unit 2 double. Blackwell was her first choice as well, i guess its random…

Yeah, it’s the luck of the draw, But Unit 2 is a pretty nice assignment, from what I understand! And a double is definitely a win over a crowded triple.

S23 was happy to receive a housing assignment, even though it wasn’t one of the choices that he listed and he will be in a forced triple. It’s exciting anyway… like, yay, he’s really going to college! :tada: :rofl:

3 Likes

lf you wanted for and ended up getting a double, in any unit, you’re sitting pretty.

2 Likes

my son was in one of those this year. Worked out fine.

The forced triple rooms do look awfully crowded. But I remember that my favorite housing situation in college was in a triple. I liked the social dynamics of a triple better than a double.

For any existing Cal parents on here, did your kid ending up doing (a) random roommate assignment or (b) requested to room with a friend? I’m just curious how that first year experience ended up playing out, regardless of (a) or (b).

i think if you are in a triple and plan on doing all of your studying in your room, it might be crowded often. My son had marching band a lot first semester. Studied in libraries occasionally. kind of helps to “take turns” not being in the room.
I was in a triple in '91-92. Totally fine.
My daughter was telling me that lots of kids (on snapchat?) who got triple assignments yesterday were ready to bail on the dorms and get apartments. That might be a little reactionary.

1 Like