UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Does anyone know (ballpark) how long it takes to complete the “Golden Bear Prep” modules in CalCentral? My kid hasn’t completed it yet and I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be knocked out in a couple of hours or is more intensive.

Unless something changed this year, it should be pretty simple. You can do them in half a day.

Is there any need for my son to bring a suit to school first semester? He wouldn’t be interviewing for internships or anything like that. Was wondering if there are ever dorm formals or other social events for which he’d need one. Thanks!

I think it’s helpful to have one. My son didn’t recruit or rush but he ended up at a frat unexpectedly and there were also a number of other occasions such as career fairs and networking events when a suit came in handy.

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate your input. Will send a suit along.

I’m glad you asked this, I don’t think my son would have thought to bring his suit. I’ll suggest he take it.

Hello Folks, a few questions for the experienced parents :

1. For homecoming football game, if the student has a season pass, how do family members manage to sit with them and are those tickets available closer to the game? Are they more expensive than the regular homecoming tickets?

2. for the 3 day weekends, do the local freshmen in general go home? If so, what happens to their meal plan, does it just go wasted for those 3 days?

Thanks!

1. the student tickets are in the student section, mid field behind the Cal Football team sideline. You wont be able to buy tickets in that area. However, you can get tickets in sections T or TT just next to the student section. A cheaper option would be to get tickets for your family (including your student) in the North end zone section. An even cheaper option would be to get the cheapest tickets you can, and then move around where you please, as there are likely to be plenty of open seating areas. I would suggest waiting on buying tickets, as there is a good chance that Cal football once again is going to have a rough season, and there will be plenty of flash ticket sales closer to game day.
  1. 3 day weekends - lots of Freshmen go home. Many stay, depending on a number of factors (airline prices, lots of school work) Yes the meal plan doesn’t stop over the three day weekend and effectively those days are “lost”
2 Likes

I expect my freshman (local) will make plans to do stuff with his friends/classmates over the 3 day weekends. I doubt we’ll see him at home much… For labor day he’s already planning to go on the Hillel retreat.

2 Likes

Have any students expecting to receive the Middle Class Scholarship had them disperse into their Cal Central accounts this morning? My son’s still says Conditional.

1 Like

Found this link. We’ll have to wait a while longer.

No, we are also waiting for MCS and looks like it might take few more months(I am not sure when). My son got his first half of a small Cal scholarship.

1 Like

Hi All…our move-in slot is Aug 16 at 3pm. we do GBO check-in after we move-in or we can go early and first do GBO check-in? thanks in advance.

Never mind…there is suggested check-in time for 16 move-in.
Wednesday, August 16

1:00-6:00pm

Students moving into University Residence Halls on Wednesday, August 16

At Berkeley right now moving my son into his frat room. So exciting to see the burst of energy on campus, and to see entire families moving their kids into the dorms. Days like today are when I really miss my days on campus as a student. Hope everyone is equally excited!

2 Likes

How are move ins going? My son moves into foothill tomorrow morning.

Move in to unit 2 was smooth this morning. Triple room is not large but the layout of the room is practical and I felt reassured that they will be fine. Beautiful views from the big window! Lots of happy excited vibes around me from the students moving in.

2 Likes

So … a tip for GBO registration, if they didn’t make changes from last year’s setup.
(more below the image)

(This info is from last year; things might have changed!)
When you arrive to register for GBO, the registration happens in Lower Sproul Plaza. And there’s a MASSIVE line of people (red line in the image) waiting to register that you’ll see when you approach along Bancroft. What you don’t realize until you get up to the front of the line is that that bank of registration tables (red circle in the image) is only for A-L (or something like that), and the bank of registration tables for M-Z is off to the right (blue circle in the image) with practically no line (blue line). So if you’re in the latter half of the alphabet, you can walk towards Sather Gate from Bancroft/Telegraph and walk around the student union building and approach the registration table from there, with a much shorter line.

You might verify all of that when you get to campus. Things might change, and I don’t have any info on this year’s registration processes. Good luck!

1 Like

I’m so glad it went well!

1 Like

be aware! attempt car jacking at Foothill parking lot. car jacking dwight/college. three cars burglarized in parking lot as people ate on telegraph. laptop and other items taken.