UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

question on delegate account, are we able to see grades or is it just for financial?

I am able to see registered classes and grades, but I think it depends on what your child selects when they set up the delegate account.

Yes, I can see classes and there is a field where it looks like I will be able to see GPA when it is available.

1 Like

My son’s seriously considering switching his dorm room because his roommate plays games till 3am making loud noise and repeatedly brings drunken friends over after parties. When my son confronted him about those, he cursed at my son, and the relationship has become very hostile such that my son is temporarily staying in one of his friends’ room.

Changing the dorm room seems to be the obvious solution, and my son will be talking to the housing office today about that. Hopefully there is a room he can quickly switch to, but I suppose it may not be the case.

Any ideas you can share with me would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

Let him talk to the RA(Resident Advisor) first, they can be helpful. As all Dorms are full, switching means some other student may need to move to his room.

Maybe one of the other friends are willing to switch places with your son.

All the best.

2 Likes

ugh that stinks. You have to start with the RA discussion, then there is a form they both sign (agreement) There is a whole process that has to be completed before room switch can be considered if due to roommate conflict. Have him talk to the RA immediately to expedite this.

There is nothing worse than dreading being in your own room (especially one that you are paying a lot for). This should never be the case

Here we go again, folks. Buckle up.

DS got job as Life Guard(will start after manadatory checks are done). He also applied for few Clubs and running for a position on Official Student Government.

1 Like

seems alot of these clubs/organizations are hard to get into! resume, essays etc!

From what I understand, Consulting Clubs and few more are difficult but there are lot of clubs which take anyone who apply.

1 Like

I think the value of these clubs is somewhat questionable but one good with this process is that a lot of these kids likely never faced rejections before in life, and the club/greek life membership process is a good way for them to learn to accept “failure”.

2 Likes

DS got into one Decal and was not selected for another. He also got into one CS club and got rejected from another CS club. Overall, it’s been a mixed bag and he got shortlisted for another club and has to attend some mixer and then an interview.

I don’t know value of all these clubs but I guess it helps him grow, take rejections in a positive way and move on. Also, interviewing for any club is a good skill to develop for future.

Was at home on Saturday (took less than one hour taking a bus/Bart/pickup from Bart to home). He took Van back to Cal, picked up his floor mates to show them Bay Area beaches.

1 Like

Question on viewing delegate account, What does it mean when it says level- Sophomore, she’s a freshman this year. also it says cumulative units transfer, is this the AP credits?

Yes, AP, IB, Dual Enrollment credits that transfer would go toward those credits.

The sophomore level is likely because your child has a lot of transferable AP/DE credits putting the unit total commensurate with a sophomore. This is pretty common. My son is a sophomore and he has junior standing because he will have ~80 units by the end of this semester.

In general this won’t mean anything for enrollment priority.

does the units get updated? I think she has more units than its’ showing right now especially with her Ap’s

On CalCentral, the total units will not include the current courses in progress. They will update once the grades go in at the at the end of the semester.

Question I’ve had on my mind for a while. I understand that affirmative action is still in effect when applications are reviewed. However, if a student chooses to write PIQ that deals with their race/ethnicity, especially if the student is a member of an underrepresented group, I wonder if this might weigh into admissions decisions. UC has said that it is always looking for alternative ways to seek out underrepresented students.

Per my understanding, the UCs do not use race in admissions. I think they take the quality of the PIQs into account, and anyone can write about their race in those PIQs even if they are white et al. The value of such PIQs would then depend on whether they actually offer Personal Insight into the applicant in a way that complements the rest of their app.

2 Likes

You can ask your student to check how units were transferred if you can’t see it as a delegate in Cal Central. Under My Academics there is a Transfer Credit section on the bottom right. There is a link for Transfer Credit Report and it will give a specific rundown of which tests earned how many units. I would think that if the units have already been calculated, then Transfer Credit is complete, unless there is an error that needs to be addressed.

1 Like