UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Can Breadth Requirements be taken over the summer?

Some are offered during summer session, although the selection is a bit more limited than during the semester.

Now that we’re coming up on spring course registration, I was wondering if anyone know when we should expect the bill for spring tuition, housing, and fees?

can they take at community college?

I believe you can, but I am not 100% sure, so hopefully someone else can confirm this.

It looks like last year Spring semester tuition and fees started posting mid November and was due Jan. 13. Spring financial aid disbursed on January 4.

1 Like

In our experience, on campus housing costs were posted monthly, if you decided to pay more spread out.

1 Like

Middle Class Scholarship first part posted for my kid 2 days back.

1 Like

Ours too. So grateful for the MCS!

2 Likes

Yes if in L&S. Not sure of other colleges.

You can take community college classes all year long in L&S without prior approval. Use assist.org to confirm correct match ups to breadths.

Only lower division courses no upper divisions and major prereqs are major dependent.

https://lsadvising.berkeley.edu/policies/concurrent-enrollment

One thing to be aware of if taking community college classes, is the total number of Upper division units that are required for graduation. Definitely take that into account when mapping out a 4 year plan. I was just helping my son with schedule planning and discovered that his last two breadths need to be upper division to make sure he hits 36 upper division units.

Does anyone’s child have transfer credit assessed in their portal yet? My son’s AP credit is there, but not his transfer credit from dual enrollment classes. He was hoping his credit would be assessed before he has to register for spring classes.

My son’s transfer credit was processed right away, before his AP credit was added. I expect the timing could vary a lot depending on the source of the transfer credit, though.

Yes and no. The transfer credit from her initial transcript submitted in May (I think?) has been assessed and appears in her portal. However, she then took some summer classes and submitted that transcript in maybe August? That has not been assessed yet and does not appear in her portal. And my daughter has already registered for spring classes, so did not have the full number of transfer courses available prior to that.

Hmm… ok. He submitted his dual enrollment college transcript in early June when it was available, but nothing yet. He has over 60 units of dual enrollment, so it’s a lot of requirements covered.

My daughter has her initial transfer credits from DE and AP exams in her portal, but not her summer class she took. We submitted it back in August. She filed a request to find and got a response that they have it in the que and all transfer credits will be updated by the end of November.

Seems crazy that it takes this long. What is weird is she has all her GE credits up to date from her DE but not her AP exams/classes. Still waiting for them to credit her AMerican Institutions and American History requirements. Seems that if your gonna upload them might as well up date everything and then move on to the next student. No rhyme or reason how they do it.

She has registered for the spring already so we just worked around it but did talk to an advisor to confirm what she expects to be credited to not miss anything.

My son registers November 1st. I’m wondering if he should reach out to the transfer credit office? June to October seems very long, but I’m not sure what their process is.

Does it affect the courses he’s eligible to take in the spring?

Not really? He was able to get approved for his fall classes based on the uploaded transcripts, even though the credit hadn’t been reviewed. The spring classes just require the fall classes as prerequisites. It’s more about knowing any breadth classes he still needs. We think he’s done with L & S breadth, but it’s hard to be sure without the transfer credit report.

So in that case I would register for classes assuming that he will get the credit for the breadth classes, and if he doesn’t, he can always take a breadth class next year, right?