UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

It’s definitely possible, but easier or harder depending on where in SF and whether you’re near a BART station. (As a counter example, my daughter also applied to USF and would commute there from the East Bay if that’s where she ends up going.)

1 Like

Possible yes.

Convenient? Depends on where you live in San Francisco and its proximity to BART and/or the AC Transit FS (transbay to Berkeley) bus stop.

I used to commute on BART from 16th St Mission station when I was living in the city and taking classes at Cal. It wasn’t so bad as a graduate student, but for an undergraduate I think you would want to live closer to other students.

1 Like

I knew three kids (all junior transfers) who commuted to Cal everyday from SF. BART, AC Transit.
I know a kid now who is at CCSF hoping to transfer. Lives in SF and heavily involved in SF Ballet. He’s hoping to get into Cal and commute everyday and take only morning classes, then commute back to SF for ballet in the afternoons. It’s completely possible to do it. The biggest constraint might be your proximity to a BART station.
EDIT: sorry @ucbalumnus. I didnt read your reply before typing mine. You already covered this.

1 Like

And you wouldn’t necessarily have to go 5 days a week. I think only language classes at Cal are everyday? Otherwise, there are Monday-Wednesday-Friday classes and Tuesday-Thursday classes, so you might be able to get creative some semesters and stack your classes so that you would only have to be there a few days per week. Probably wouldn’t work out every semester, especially while you are still taking a lot of core courses (and thus have less control over what you take). But some semesters you could cut down on your commute a bit.

1 Like

True. But timing these will be tough. i.e. I can (only) take a T-T classes or M-W-F classes - this would limit my choice of classes.

Do we need to take language as well. Was not aware

Honestly, I don’t know the full scope of the undergrad core curriculum. When I was a grad student, I taught undergrad classes so I am familiar with the schedule for those - the language class was Monday through Friday (although I also took a less common language and that was actually only Tu-Th, but I think that’s unusual), Reading and Composition was either M-W-F or Tu -Th (required for freshman and sophomores who don’t AP out of it), and then a history lecture course I taught (which satisfied one of the undergrad breadth requirements) was Tu-Th. So a lot would depend on which core classes you would need to take at Cal vs which you could AP out of, as well as your major and when those specific courses are offered. Like I said, it probably wouldn’t be possible to arrange every semester, but you could probably swing it a few of the semesters you’re there. Cal is a big school with a robust course catalog - so even if you want to pack your schedule, you could still find quite a few options.

1 Like

If you have satisfied the UCB foreign language requirement in high school (or by some other method) you do not have to take any foreign language classes. That being said, some of the language departments at UCB are top notch.

https://guide.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/colleges-schools/letters-science/foreign-language-requirement/

1 Like

COE admit rates by major (courtesy Reddit, original source: CalAnswers)

Fascinating to see so much volatility at the major level even as the overall admit rates have generally trended lower.

2 Likes

Just wonder if anyone here applying for CS major? Thanks.

UCB L&S students have a foreign language requirement as listed at Degree Requirements | L&S Advising . However, there are ways to fulfill it based on previous knowledge or course work in a foreign language, as described at Foreign Language | L&S Advising .

For other divisions (CoC, CoE, CED, CNR), check the appropriate web site for that division.

1 Like

Yeah I applied as a CS major in L&S.

1 Like

I am curious how people are deciding between LS CS and EECS given that LS CS is now direct admit to major, and last year’s LS CS admit rates were lower than EECS. Of course the LS CS and EECS admit pools historically have been very different with the EECS pool a much stronger applicant cohort, so admit rate comparisons are dangerous.

If you aren’t majoring in CS, are you not allowed to take CS classes as electives? Or are you limited to only CS classes required by your major?

1 Like

The limitation on enrollment into the L&S CS and EECS majors is due to instructional capacity for CS courses. Students not in L&S CS or EECS majors should expect that it is unlikely that there will be space in CS courses (other than 10, 61A, 61B, 70) for them after L&S CS and EECS majors have gotten first opportunity (in phase 1 and phase 2 of course selection) to enroll in them.

When I looked at the document you linked, it looked like “Non-EECS COE Major” had the same priority as L&S CS and EECS, for the majority of classes including upper division classes? What am I missing (or misunderstanding)?

Probably non-EECS CoE majors are unlikely to have much schedule space, interest, or prerequisite completion to take many upper division CS courses.

I expect that it depends on the program they are doing? For example, my son attended a presentation in which IEOR students said that they do a lot of CS and AI as part of their studies. Such a student might like to take upper division CS courses as electives.

My point, however, is that I didn’t see any category on the sheet where EECS and L&S CS majors give higher priority for CS course registration, compared to a non-EECS COE major. Am I missing something?

1 Like

You and my S23 have similar situation on AP limitation, so we hope the ELC helps a bit. Beside the AP Computer Science, did you take any other programming class? Thanks.

Do you know if UCB cares at all about the 9% ELC thing? I’m sorry if this question has already been asked - and answered - here, it might have been, but at 359 responses and counting, I am starting to lose track a bit :wink: Any sense of whether that status is considered in admissions, or is it largely meaningless except for the guaranteed admission (to UCM) promise?

2 Likes