UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

If you are intending Haas, you need to consider it a fairly arduous longshot. First, you need to get into L&S and then you have to compete with other Haas-intending students during your sophomore year. Haas applicants have a reputation for being very cut-throat and you will need everything from grades in specific classes, clubs, extra curricular, and other holistic elements to get in.

In the past, unsuccessful haas applicants have been able to use Econ as a fallback but with Econ now designated as a high-demand major you are unlikely to have similar access to that safety net. So, in my estimate and for all intents and purposes Haas should be considered a reach for anyone.

2 Likes

100% understood. thank you for this information! i’m just hoping I can get into L&S in the first place, but with test-optional policies and other factors that bring competition way up, i’ve set low expectations

It also seems that the Haas secondary admission process will be affected by the coming transition to a four-year direct-admit program. The FAQ is a little confusing, since it has a section for Class of 2026 but not for the prospective Class of 2027, but I think that the bottom line is that “as the program transitions to a four-year model, fewer spots will be available for continuing students.” FAQ - Undergraduate Program - Berkeley Haas

For Incoming Freshmen (Class of 2026)

I was planning on applying to the business major, how will this impact me?

Students may still apply to the business major as sophomores, but as the program transitions to a four-year model, fewer spots will be available for continuing students in the Spring 2024 admissions cycle. Prepared first-year students are encouraged to apply to Haas in Spring 2023 rather than wait until the Spring 2024 admissions cycle, when there will be fewer continuing pool spots. The deadline for completing minimum eligibility requirements will be extended to Summer 2023 for first-year applicants only.

More information about the first-year Early Access Admission Process is available on the Freshmen Applicants page.

Can I apply to Haas as a sophomore in Fall 2023 if I am not accepted as a first-year in Fall of 2022?

Yes, you may reapply to the program through a one-time exception to our admissions policy, available to rising first-year students in the Spring 2023 admissions cycle. Fewer continuing spots will be available for the Spring 2024 application cycle. Students who believe that they will be more adequately prepared to apply as sophomores also have that option in Spring 2024. Again, fewer continuing spots will be available for Spring 2024 applicants.

1 Like

I remember I think you may have posted in another forum but I cannot seem to find it. The dates the UC send out admission information in March? Thanks for any help in finding that chart so I can make sure to stress more on those days :wink:

These were the decision dates from last year 2022. Some UC’s will post their decision dates in advance and others do not.

2022 Decisions:
UCB: Early admits on Feb 11, 2022. All other decisions on March 24.
UCLA: Friday March 18 at 5 PM PST.
UCSD: Friday March 18 around 4:30 PST
UCSB: March 22, 2022 around 2:15 PM PST
UCI: CHP admits March 11, 2022. The rest of the Decisions on March 18, 2022.
UCD: Friday March 11, 2022
UCSC: 1st Wave starting Friday February 25th. 2nd Wave March 15th.
UCR: Rolling Waves starting March 2, 2022
UCM: Rolling Waves starting March 1, 2022

8 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

according to the portal, Berkeley is looking like March 30 this year

1 Like

Who is admitted on February 11th?

Regents and Chancellor scholarship candidates and High stat applicants heard early last year. Previous years also GMP and MET applicants but these majors heard in March last year.

1 Like

OK, so how much do you think these letters of recommendation are going to count? My daughter’s are in and they are both very strong. Do you think they can really sway an acceptance decision?

I am sure that they CAN help, otherwise UCB wouldn’t bother asking for them! We can only hope for the best at this point. Good luck!

2 Likes

Yeah, the portal says UCB decisions will be available on or before March 30, 2023.

1 Like

I’m quite nervous too. Both of my letters are in as well. Hoping for the best.

2 Likes

Completely out of our hands now. Whoever hears first from the Univ./ Please post here

3 Likes

It’s going to be a long 2+ months…

1 Like

history tells us that use every last possible day to make the announcements.

I think they always say before March 31. Most of the time, admissions decisions are released a few days before the end of the month.

I am still getting PTSD seeing these posts about the long wait. Donno how @scrambro is dealing with this 2 years in a row.

2 Likes

yes sir. This will be 3 out of last 4 years. In 2020, I was a wreck on here. Ask @Gumbymom

1 Like

At least you will be off the hook in a couple of months time. I’ve still got one more to go :frowning:

1 Like