UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

agreed. i was just curious because i wanted to try doing a ‘chance-me’ but didn’t know what this community thought of one.

if anyone is willing to give me a somewhat realistic idea, i’d love to hear! and if there’s no point doing one as well, i understand.

after all, i am mainly applying to canadian universities. america colleges were my dream, so why not try, right?

Feel free to do one - lots of people do. But, ultimately, it’s all just guesswork. UCB admissions moves in mysterious ways…But definitely do one if you want to get other people’s thoughts and speculation. There’s nothing wrong with that, as long as you keep perspective on it (and what it does and does not mean).

I would add that perhaps the main thing you can get out of a chance me are opinions of the relative strengths and weaknesses of your profile/application. That obviously can’t really tell you the odds of getting into a specific school, but can give you a sense of various (relative) strengths based on a general hypothetical applicant pool.

okay, sounds good. would i just write it on this forum, or do i do it in private? thank you for your information, i really appreciate it

1 Like

You can do it here, or a separate thread I think. I’m fairly new to CC so don’t know all the rules around it, but I have seen both in my (short) time here.

If you are referring to multiple schools, it would be more appropriate in its own thread.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

@Gumbymom might be the best person to ask about this.

3 posts were split to a new thread: Chance a Canadian applicant for the UC’s

The second teacher just submitted LoR this morning around 8 am, it is ok to be late 8 hours?

Asking again:)
Can someone please clarify? If this is the first year students can apply to CS through L&S how is it there is data from last year admits being so low? ( 166 students) Did they pilot it last year? It seems the acceptance was lower than applying through CS through COE. Will students be disadvantaged applying through L&S this round with such low admit rates? Thanks!!

Admit rates being reported at the major level for last year doesn’t mean that admit rates were determined at the major level. Gaming chances by applying to a specific major based on admit rates is not a great strategy since there is a fair amount of volatility year to year. Even if what you are saying is true about last cycle, the direct admit process probably will lower app volume for L&S CS since the perception of it being an easy backdoor is now gone.

3 Likes

Did UCB make CS direct admit because there were many people who used to get in through other majors in L&S and then transfer into CS even though they didn’t apply CS on their application?

@Lily_22
I have no specific personal insight other than what I have read in regard to the CS program at UCB. Basically the CS/EECS programs has grown substantially in # of students within the last 10 years and the department has had difficulty in keeping up with the demand. The majority of the growth has been from CS from the College of Letters and Sciences. This has prompted UCB to change their admission policy by instituting High Demand majors which will help limit the # of CS majors admitted into the program and avoid such a low admit rate in future admission cycles.

I would expect that by limiting the enrollment of in-coming Freshman, they will be able to manage the CS class/teaching resources better and bring their admit numbers up to higher levels similar to previous years with the exception of last year.

Only UCB admissions will know how this years transition to the new policy will affect the admit numbers.

In general, CS/EECS should be considered a Reach for all applicants regardless of the new policy or not.

Here is one article of interest before the final High demand policy was presented:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity is there anyone on this thread that is not CS? My mental tally indicates heavy CS participation here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh yes, we are here - those of us who care less about CS. :blush:

6 Likes

My daughter applied to CNR, so we are totally out of the CS discussion, too. But we seem to be the minority on CC - which isn’t a bad thing, of course. Just interesting.

1 Like

Yes. I have 2 applied to UCB not CS or any form of STEM

2 Likes

D23 is Marine Science (L&S)- alt major Environmental Science (Rausser CNR)

4 Likes

My son is interested in journalism and possibly economics. Applied undeclared.

4 Likes