UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Yeah, that’s the thing - receiving the request the SAME DAY as submitting the app…It doesn’t seem possible that the app had been thoroughly reviewed. So something else triggered it.

2 Likes

Curious to know these bay area high school students who got the request for LOR…

What high school?

We are in the bay area(25 minutes from CAL) too and have not heard anyone from our school getting the request.

Berkeley High, Albany High

3 Likes

What high school does your son attend?

The other interesting twist…Somewhere up thread…Apologies that I don’t remember the poster…But they said that they are in Fremont(?) and the only student at their school who received an LOR request has a Berkeley address. Very curious.

Cal and UCLA generally have a yield in the 45%-50% range which is not bad for public flagships. Cal has a really poor yield from the OOS and International cohort which is understandable given the costs involved and those students would rather get private school education at those prices.

2 Likes

Wonder what school in Fremont? Mission San Jose??

If so, that high school is VERY high ranking for public schools in CA.

Unfortunately, I don’t recall. It’s somewhere on this thread amidst the…667 replies :wink: Maybe a search would bring it up if you’re very curious?

Sorry, can’t share but its East Bay and not a powerhouse and a low SES school.

Curious if the UCs prefer CA public schools to privates, even within state?

I don’t know the answer off hand - maybe someone will - but this is great tool:

You can select CA private schools or public schools, across UCs, or to specific UCs, and see all the stats.

1 Like

That’s not one of the 13 review factors.

Another variable I am curious about regarding auto-LOR requests…Did he apply to one of the high impacted majors?

Yes, he applied to EECS (for CS)

My son’s impression was that major choice didn’t have anything to do with the LOR requests. Anecdotally, everyone he talked to got the request regardless of whether they applied to engineering, L&S, chemistry, or Rausser. Most people he knows are relatively high stats kids though.

2 Likes

Taking Albany and Berkeley out of the equation - because I think something separate is going on there - I might speculate that other LOR requests might be triggered by certain majors?

Yes, not for Albany and Berkeley. That’s definitely its own thing. But outside of those schools, I was thinking about major, especially since they too seem to have been triggered automatically (within a day of submission, and likely before they had been thoroughly reviewed).

I know a kid in San Jose, decent public school, completely maxed out stats, APs, etc. who received a LOR request. CNR candidate

OK, so there goes that theory lol

And I was so close to being able to do a Venn diagram of LOR requests!

2 Likes

Does that yield percent mean that there’s hope if I’m waitlisted?

5 Likes