UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

The MAP@Berkeley portal has a link to this FAQ page: Application FAQs - Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Q: Can I change the major (and/or college/school) I applied for at Berkeley?

A: To change a major/college/school in your submitted Berkeley application, please submit your request using the Contact Us form. You can expect a decision via email within five to seven days. NOTE: No new major changes will be considered after January 31, 2023.

2 Likes

If you applied for a non high-demand major within L&S, you probably don’t need to change the major if you accidentally chose the wrong one. But, if you chose the wrong school (CNR vs L&S etc.), or if you chose a high-demand major when you meant a non high-demand major (or viceversa), then you should at least send a note through the MAP application portal and see if they can change it.

3 Likes

is it true that people are getting regents next Friday?

I don’t think an official date has been announced for early notifications? However I think we can say that nobody will be getting Regents as soon as next Friday. Some students will be notified this month that they are candidates for Regents, but it will be a longer process to actually determine who gets it.

1 Like

Last year Early admits including prospective Regent scholarship recipients were notified on on Feb 11, 2022. Getting a Regent’s invite does not guarantee the scholarship but you are admitted.

Faculty interviews and scholarship consideration for freshman candidates takes place in early March.
Notifications of scholarship awarding decisions are sent to freshman candidates at the end of March.

1 Like

A post was split to a new thread: How competitive is Physics for the UC’s?

Does Regent’s invite mean admitted?

Yeah. I mean why would they interview you for merit $ if they don’t want to accept you?

2 Likes

I heard UCLA simply sends out Regents invitations to apply without giving a definitive admission offer.

1 Like

In the past, Berkeley sent an email notifying applicants that their portal had been updated. When the applicant checked their portal, they saw a letter of acceptance and an invite to interview for Regents.

In the past (not last year), UCLA sent an email around the same time as Berkeley. UCLA’s email said that the student was a top applicant and invited them to apply for Regents via an additional essay. UCLA did not formally accept Regents candidates until March when everyone found out. Last year, UCLA didn’t invite anyone to apply for Regents until March.

1 Like

Does UCB consider alternate Major like other UC’s? I applied for Materials Engineering as the Primary Major and Math as the alternate. In the UC application UCLA has an option to indicate alternate but apparently they don’t even consider it. So just checking if UCB does something like UCLA.

Starting this admission cycle for Fall 2023, UCB does allow you list an alternate major.

We will only guarantee a review of the primary major while alternative majors will only be used if space is available, for example, as we consider available space during the wait list process.

1 Like

Thanks @Gumbymom Got it! Alternate major is not considered for the regular application cycle but is used during the wait list process.

So we’re speculating that regent’s invites will be out this Friday, 02/10?

1 Like

I think so. No official announcement but looking at last year Feb 10 date seems right.

I’m wondering when they will announce the official date for the regents. Also, can you still qualify for regents if you don’t fill out the FASFA?

1 Like

I don’t think they will announce a date in advance. Some people will simply get the Regents invites.

Regents is merit based so the FASFA is not required to get the honorarium. There is additional money available if you have need and that would be based on the FASFA and eligibility.

1 Like

Interesting. I guess we’ll then find out if/when people get it.

3 Likes

Are regents usually for applicants with very high GPAs?

2 Likes