UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Congratulations! Berkeley seems to like Eagle Scouts that play at Carnegie Hall. :grin:

This article is from 2019. It caught my attention because they tallied and called out certain accomplishments.

At least 100 students who have performed at Carnegie Hall — either solo or as part of a group — and at least 170 students who participated in the Science Olympiad, a national science competition, are in the admitted class, which also boasts about 50 Eagle Scouts and at least 50 Girl Scout Gold Award winners.

1 Like

Stupid question but where do you see which major you got admitted for? My student got in, and applied for CS in L & S first and then data science as an alternate, but cannot see what major they were admitted for! No regents or any other invite like that. Local-ish and no LOR request. Can we assume they got into one of these as a direct admit?

1 Like

Awesome! The Berkeley High School orchestra is going on tour to NYC and will play in Carnegie Hall this year, hope this gives our kids a boost :wink: :rofl:

3 Likes

Congrats. Especially for CS. Great achievement ! Can you post your student’s stats?

Well we think it was for CS? But how do we know for sure when it doesn’t say? It only says L & S. UC GPA around a 4.5, AP Scholar with Distinction (all 5s), good church ECs, NMSF (in theory finalist when it is announced.) A few other things but nothing over the top. It’s a bit of a shock.

If you are an early admit that must mean you are admitted to your first major. If they didn’t think you are getting in for CS you wouldn’t have been given this early admit.

You will simply need to meet cursory requirements before being officially allowed to declare as a CS major. That’s how it works for all majors in L&S

2 Likes

@tamagotchi, did your student get the good news? I didn’t receive anything so I am disappointed. I thought UC doesn’t look at SAT and put less weight on EC’s. They focus more on high school academic performance compared to other universities.

Looks like everyone today was a high stats admit. I didn’t see anything about regents or MET. Maybe those are coming tomorrow?

2 Likes

Damn, reading that I feel like we should be getting an email saying “Ooops, we made a terrible mistake - that previous email was meant for someone else.” So many impressive students!

Lol kind of disappointed to see nothing today. I guess I’ll need to wait a bit longer till the end of March!

2 Likes

I saw 2 admits that received a Regents invite, 1 MET admit on here and another on Reddit. Historically, UCB has done the early admits on one day only.

2 Likes

It is an old article. Those 2019 admits should be graduating in a few months!

1 Like

Do they send rejections also for MET right now? I didn’t hear back.

No denials for any applicants until March decisions.

Here are my DS stats. He was invited to Regents and Chancellor’s

UC GPA 4.2
UW GPA 4.5

Submitted two papers to a journal.
Eagle Scout
AIME Qualifier from 7th grade
AMC 12 distinction
Music teacher certificate of merit exam: Advance level with state honors, played at the state convention
MTAC – invited to apply for Panel and Young Artist guild.
International awards in music, played solo in Carnegie Hall.
County science fair award
Over 150 hours of volunteering ( teaching violin & performing at senior centers)

5 Likes

is it that high? I thought they had admitted 950 in 2021. My son was one of them, and I believe the total application number would have made it a lower rate.

1 Like

Don’t they usually send out a separate email for the rest of the applicants that says something like, “Some people have received decisions today your decision will be in March?” It usually comes at the same time the early admits get notified too.

Could you check the astrology forum I had a question

1 Like

The 6% was the number based on the 950 early admits out of the 16,295 admitted students for 2021. The admit rate out of the total applicants of 112,835 was 0.8%.

1 Like

Not today, hoping for the best in March for all students & parents on this thread! :crossed_fingers: :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes