UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

try r/berkeley
you should get better response.

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you, I agree that OP would want to hear directly from students that have attended the Summer Bridge program recently. I searched the UCB discussion threads for the last several years and came up empty.

1 Like

How do you know if the DE classes are UC transferable? And are the grades in these classes given an extra point to calculate total uncapped GPA, or is it dependent on your high school? TIA!

You can check assist.org if you are a CA resident. If not, then it is more of trying to articulate the DE courses to the courses listed on assist.org. Each semester of a DE class taken the summer after 9th grade to the summer prior to 12th grade would qualify for the extra honors points in the UC capped weighted and Uncapped weighted GPA calculation.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Hello everyone. I have a quick question about the conditions of acceptance. It states that a student must not fall below a 3.0 GPA. Is that GPA the weighted one of the unweighted one? Thanks!

You can find DE and college course guidelines here. Dual enrollment

1 Like

Historically the GPA has been 3.0 unweighted with no more than 2 C’s, no D’s or F’s Senior year. I would check with admissions to confirm.

Does somebody have any insight into what AP credits can be applied for EECS and what lower level courses can be done at community college before fall?

For EECS (and other COE majors), the only courses you can waive out are Math 1A, Math 1B, and PHYS 7A. Of these, PHYS 7A requires a 5 on the AP Mechanics test. These are the only EECS required course work that you could get credits for.

Math 53 can be waived out in special circumstances. In my S22’s case, his high school has a pre-existing equivalency agreement with the Berkeley math department for students who complete Multi-Variable Calculus in high school.

2 Likes

Besides AP Calc BC for MAth 1A, 1B, Ap PhyC Mech for Phy 7A and CC course for Math 53, my son was able to use his AP credits for other Gen Ed — Ap Bio, AP Chem, APUSH, AP Gov, AP Lang.

2 Likes

I know CS61A, CS61B, EECS 16A can be done in some CCs. But my DS did not do that.

2 Likes

I would not recommend this. If someone is an EECS admit, there is no urgency to get through the lower division requirements. Berkeley 61A is much harder than any equivalent class available at a CC, or for that matter most CS programs, and the value of EECS is mainly in the foundation laid during these tough lower div classes.

6 Likes

Agree and hence my son did not do that.

1 Like

My son was the same about not taking any CS courses in CC.

It almost seems like EECS gives too much credit for APs. He told me that due to all the APs he took, he already has junior standing after completing the first semester of his freshman year.

1 Like

Can one choose to stay at freshman so one Can double major or enjoy 3-4 years of college life even thought there are many APs and DE credit.

1 Like

You can do 4 years at all UCs. They won’t push you out.

1 Like

There are only 3-4 EECS/COE degree requirements you could waive via AP exam - Math 1A, Math 1B, PHYS 7A, and CHEM 1A+1AL. I don’t think this is too much credit.

In contrast, at a school like UIUC, you could waive out of 2 Math requirements, 2 Chemistry requirements, CS 105, Physics 211, Stat 100, in addition to other gen ed requirements. And unlike Cal, many schools incluidng UIUC don’t have max unit restrictions within a study area (e.g. max of 2 courses count towards the humanities requirement). Its possible for a student to achieve junior standing within COE if they have a lot of DE courses but AP alone won’t get them there. Some students also take courses the summer before freshman year and that can help accelerate standing.

That said, I know where you are coming from. S22 will have 62+ units at the end of freshman year which is more than half the 120-units needed to graduate.

1 Like

If you enter as a freshman, you are allowed 8 semesters to finish your degree, even if you come in with a lot of AP/DE credits. Double majors are allowed a 9th semester. The exact rules for semester and unit limits can vary by which college you are in, but here are the rules for L&S, as an example: Unit Ceiling and Semester Limit | L&S Advising

4 Likes