UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

We did that too. It was wild!! Some high school kids here skipped out on classes to go up and see that. Rare occasion!

2 Likes

Got rejected from Davis today for CS. Quite disappointed. Should I have any hope from UCB at this point?

2 Likes

Each UC campus has its own unique standards and parameters for what they look for in prospective students. Personally, I know of individuals from last year’s cycle who got flat out rejected at some of the “lower ranked” UCs and still made it to Berkeley/LA. CS is indeed competitive, but it’s not over until it’s over! Rooting for you!

6 Likes

UCs apparently review independently, also have seen one case where this happened. So I would say, don’t give up hope.

Last year I have heard few kids from my son’s school who got waitlisted and rejected at all other UCs but got accepted to Berkeley. Every UC reviews differently.

1 Like

Hoping for the best at this point. Did you get into Davis?

I have told this story before but will repeat it here: last year our neighbor’s daughter was rejected from UCI, but got into UCLA with a regents scholarship to boot. You never know. Really you don’t. I’m rooting for you!

5 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. Did your daughter get into Davis if she applied?

I did, yes.

Congrats!

2 Likes

UCB is the only UC she applied to (her back ups were various local CSUs and she had two privates in the mix, but no other UCs).

1 Like

Wow! That kind of clarity is really admirable. I still don’t know what kind of college I want, so eh, might as well LOL

1 Like

Not clarity so much as geography - she only applied to “commutable” schools. There are no other UCs in the Bay Area.

Oh, I see. Glad it worked out!

Wouldn’t UCSC be quite close? THe only CSUs closer than USCC may be SJSU, CSU -EB, and perhaps SFSU.

2 Likes

Yes, UCSC and for that matter UCD are only a few hours away. However, she doesn’t drive, so it would be a pretty difficult trek without easy public transportation options. For CSUs, she did indeed apply to CSU-EB, SJSU, and SFSU - also not easy commutes, but for the most part public transportation accessible (BART/bus).

I assume Cal is a short walk for her. Congrats on pulling it off!

I had to drive in that crazy I-880 traffic this evening to pick up my son from Cal just now, and every time I drive that way I keep thinking we should move to Oakland hills just to be close.

2 Likes

Walking all the way would take about an hour, although we’ve done it on occasion when the weather was particularly nice. But also easily accessible by Bart (two stops), or a 15-20 minute bus ride.

1 Like

I’d say this worked out perfectly for your daughter and your family. Congrats

4 Likes

One of my good friends got waitlisted/rejected from every UC he applied to (not M or R) but was accepted UCLA CS and UCB EECS.

5 Likes