UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

What’s crazy is that one of my friends who also applied as CS got accepted early with regents at Berkeley and got waitlisted from Davis yesterday. The admissions process is pretty unpredictable.

1 Like

Exactly. So don’t lose hope yet. I’m sure yesterday was disappointing, but it is not predictive of future UC results.

Just to be clear. Your friend was accepted early and invited to interview for the Regents scholarship. Is that correct?

its probably yield protection by UCD

That is what everyone says when the do not get into a UC they thought they should have gotten into. UC’s do not yield protect. UC’s have far more qualified applicants than spots available.

Yield protect is a strategy some individuals feel that is used by colleges to increase their yield rate which in basically rejects highly qualified applicants who they believe will not enroll if accepted. Schools that offer EA/ED/EDII/SCEA or REA have been associated with this Yield protection concept but not confirmed. Since UC’s do not consider an applicants interest in their admission criteria, this strategy does not fit the UC model.

Yield management uses a colleges historical yield rate to determine how many students need to be admitted to fill their incoming classes. They use their yield rate to predict revenue, housing availability and the # of course offerings needed each year. One of the ways the UC’s can mange their yield is through their waitlists.

11 Likes

Hi @Gumbymom, sorry I’m a bit confused. Are you saying that UCs “yield manage” through waitlists rather than “yield protect”? Or maybe I’m misreading your premise. Ow, these practices sound like 2 sides of the same coin.

All schools will yield manage and the UC’s utilize waitlists for that purpose. All schools use historical yield rates to help determine how many applicants they will admit each year. If the yield is too low, then they pull from their waitlists and if the yield is too high then they do not admit from the waitlists.

Yield protect basically means that schools will reject or delay the acceptance of highly qualified students on the grounds that such students are likely to be accepted by, and then enroll in, more prestigious institutions.

6 of the 10 most applied Universities are UC’s so the UC’s do not need to yield protect since they could admit very qualified applicants several times over to fill their Freshman classes.

13 Likes

Got it, thanks!

13 posts were split to a new thread: California HS admits Regional preference or not?

Yes, that is correct. He was invited to interview for regents.

Like others have said, getting rejected by Davis doesn’t really mean much. My son was rejected by couple of UCs, waitlisted by a couple of others, yet he was offered Regents at UCLA and is currently in EECS at Cal.

7 Likes

Oh snap. And it was the Furries who blew the whistle!

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/uc-berkeley-students-caught-gaming-fundraiser-17832776.php?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR0F_UQDvJppxWI5aphzG4vcufohNop3TEnaTY97RcREQe5-6CKp234h1xc

2 Likes

does anyone know when UC Berkeley decisions come out?

March 30th.

1 Like

Oops — duplicative/deleted

1 Like

March 30th. It was confirmed in an email sent by them

1 Like

thank you!

2 Likes

How about some good Berkeley news for once. This is the Berkeley I love.

Delicious food at Homemade Cafe!

2 Likes

[quote=“Gumbymom, post:1213, topic:3617609”]
m

1 Like