UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

I feel L&S CS and Data Science would be more competitive than last year as they are cutting down the intake.
I can understand if they want to cut down on internal L&S transfers to CS and other high demand majors.

But reducing the freshman CS intake from 900+ in 2021 to 100+ this year - it does not sound logical unless there is something like >50% reduction in CS faculty

1 Like

Totally agreed. It seems unfair for this admission cycle :unamused:

You skipped over the 2022 cycle. IMO, applicants last year were truly disadvantaged where no one knew that Cal had reduced freshman seats to ~100 and they told everyone that major did not matter for admissions. For this cycle, they’ve actually been very transparent and proactively changed to a direct admit format that is clear and sets the right expectations. I recommended watching Prof.Denero’s video - it lays out the exact reasons why they made these changes.

4 Likes

Yes, 2022 was worse and the intake number that was posted here is 166 and the applications are like ~5700, to an acceptance rate of 2.8%
Now with only ~100 intake, I am sure acceptance rate would be less than 2%.

And we do not know how is the CS and other engineering intake is trending this year at other UCs too.

Even Irvine reduced the Data Science & CS intake drastically from 2 years ago. This finally shows up as reduced admit rate but in reality it is more to do with reduced intake.

It’s very very hard on the students especially in 2022, where they might have planned based on previous years.

What you are saying is not accurate about Cal. The 166 admits account for yield. Meaning if the yield stays the same, then they would need to accept similar #s to get to 100 seats.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Very informative…

Agree.

But I think it needed to happen. COE was controlling the number of CS majors from their end, to avoid overload, but L&S was not, and the numbers were crushing EECS, and were going to end up financially destroying the department and seriously impacting the quality of education. This is best for the long term health of the major. Super sad for so many who just aren’t going to make it in though.

4 Likes

How competitive is Economics to get in UC Berkeley for OOS ? Any stats on that.

Not specific to OOS but Econ admit rate was around 5% (corrected) last year. For OOS, I expect the admit rate is slightly lower - so insanely competitive.

Thanks.

Where do you find the acceptance rate for specific majors?

See upthread…

As stressful as a 5% rate for Econ is, would it be correct that because of yield, they would accept maybe double that ?

1 Like

No. The admit rate accounts for yield. With 100% yield the admit rates will be half of that 5%.

would you happen to know where I can find it for other L&S majors (ex: stats)?

1 Like

Yikes :cry: ty for explaining that.

Could someone explain to me the 5% econ acceptance rate. That seems very low, is it definitely 5%/ where did you get that data?

The data is supposedly from CalAnswers (a resource only available to authorized people at UCB). Here is another link to the data that was posted. Click on the up arrow to jump to @ucscuuw’s post and view the data.

Do a Google search with the query: site:reddit.com calanswers

Look for a reddit hit with the title “Follow up to 2022-23 freshmen acceptance rates post” and you can see stats for a few other majors. Can’t comment on the reliability of the numbers.