UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

SIR - means the subset of admitted applicants who accepted their admission and sent confirmation of intent to register.

The funnel goes something like this:

Applicants >>>> Admits >>> SIR >> Enrolled

Admit rate = Admits/Applicants
Yield rate = SIR/Admits
Melt rate = 100% - (Enrolled/SIR)

1 Like

For anyone who’d prefer a tabular version of that data, you can get that here: the last three years’ of data about applied/admitted/SIR’d students at Berkeley, broken down by college.

1 Like

Correct the largest percentage of admitted students fell within those GPA ranges overall. You can check the break out by College which can be different so the College of Engineering had the majority of admits in the 4.400 through the 4.799 range.

2 Likes

SIR = Statement of Intent to Register

I.e. admitted applicant chose this school (although some later do not actually enroll for various reasons, such as getting off the wait list of another school, being rescinded for not meeting grade/GPA requirements for in-progress courses, or having other second thoughts).

1 Like

by the unweighted, uncapped GPA on the table, do they mean the UC GPA out of the 3 gpas? or the unweighted GPA?

because my UC GPA is slightly lower than my unweighted GPA so I was just wondering. ty!

All GPA’s listed on the table are the Uncapped Fully weighted UC GPA.

1 Like

When UCs evaluate applications do they mostly compare each applicant with other applicants from their high school? Or are there also comparisons with students from other schools as well? I have heard that they mostly compare applicants to people who come from the same school as their academic environment is the same as others in their school. However maybe with fewer applications coming from a school, those students could be compared with students from other high schools?

Hello Gumbymom,

I am looking for some help to use the GPA Calculator located here - GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

I have following questions
1, His Art 1 and Art 2 are across 9th and 10th, the calculator page says not to include subjects before 10th grade so which means I should only use Art 2 right ?
2.Assuming he has all A grades my math show 4.15 UC GPA , would that be correct ?

Can you please help me by confirming if my calculation is correct ?

Hi @Gumbymom Would you know what is the acceptance rate of Materials Engineering at UCB? My daughter who attends a public HS in Bay Area has a weighted no cap UC gpa of 4.50 and She chose Materials as the first choice and Maths in L&S as the alternate choice.
Thanks so much!

1 Like

MechE was 6.7% and BioE was around 9.5% or so. I would imagine Mat Eng in the 8%-10% admit rate range. Her GPA is competitive assuming she has the right level of rigor and STEM focus that’s expected of COE admits.

2 Likes

Go to UC website and look up his school by name (if in state), then enter name of each subject to see if its a-g course. If it is, then check if it has a start next to it or not, the ones that have stars are all given plus 1 (upto 4 in 11th, and another 4 in 12th for max 8, even if the kid took more APS/honors). Check Health, art etc are a-g courses or not. If any of those are not a-g they should not be considered (minus those As). Now check how many total semesters of A in a-g courses, give 1 extra point for all star marked courses (upto 8 points). ex if they took health for 2 sems, you will get 26 As, and 8 extra points, if both art and health were not a-g courses, you will have 24 As and 8 extra points. Also check if his Chem Honors is an honors course from UC website. Some school’s hon chem is considered weighted (starred), others are not. The 8 extra will reduce to 6 if hon chem at your school is not starred by UC.

You are correct that classes taken in 9th grade are not part of the UC GPA calculation. Classes the summer prior to 10th through the summer prior to 12th are included. I am going to PM you with the information.

1 Like

My kid applied - he’s from an east coast private school that eliminated AP’s several years ago. While there are still honors classes, there arent that many. When I see these weighted GPAs deep into the 4+ range, it seems (and history from our school would indicate) that some of the UCs are so GPA driven and get so many applications that the nuance of schools who dont do APs, might harm those kids.

I guess we will find out…my hopes are low for Berkeley and UCLA for this reason for him

3 Likes

The stats suggest that their average OOS accepted UCLA student (I assume USB is similar) did 18 full-year AP or college duel enrollment courses between sophomore and senior year. It’s impossible for most HS students to do that with AP’s, which suggests they seem to like students who were at schools where they got to take a ton of DE courses at a local college. Sure there will be exceptions but given that average the crazy thing is some people must have been taking more AP/DE/IB than 6 full year courses a year. So basically gym plus every class being one of those all three years.

1 Like

holy moly. that’s crazy.

The UCs use 13 Criteria in evaluating applications. Each UC evaluates those 13 criteria differently. It is important to visit each UC website to see what they are looking for in applicants.

Berkeley shares their selection process on this page. If your kid’s OOS private school does not offer AP or IB and and your student is not able to take transferable college courses, it might be difficult to show that they have what Berkeley is looking for.

Since Berkeley is a competitive campus, satisfying the minimum requirements is often not enough to be competitive for selection. In addition to the basic admission requirements, the campus selects its freshman class through an assessment that includes a holistic review of your academic performance as measured primarily by:

• Your weighted and unweighted UC grade point average (calculated using 10th and 11th grade UC-approved courses only)
  • Your planned 12th grade courses
  • Your pattern of grades over time
  • The number of college preparatory, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), honors and transferable college courses you have completed
  • Your level of achievement in those courses relative to other UC applicants at your school
  • Your scores on AP or IB exams and SAT subject exams

Additionally, Berkeley includes what they would like to see students write about in their PIQ. Note, this is Berkeley specific. The other UCs look for different attributes. See the other UC websites for what they look for.

2 Likes

Did this include the College of Natural resources? Don’t see it on the list and cannot find info online.
https://global.discourse-cdn.com/collegeconfidentialstaging/uploads/default/original/3X/a/e/ae43ed8991eb184923b51df16157201e34454456.jpeg

1 Like

This is a screenshot with a limited view of the data and it was mainly posted to show the CS admit rate. I am sure the data is available to anyone that has access to Cal Answers. I copied this screenshot from the 2026 Discussion thread posted by another CC poster.

You can look up the overall admit rate for CNR along with admit rate based on the fully weighted UC GPA using this link: OPA – University of California Berkeley

The College of Natural Resources does not admit by major and none of the majors in CNR are High Demand so the overall admit rate is a good indicator along with the GPA data.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the data.

1 Like

Do all MET applicants get a video essay request or does it mean you are shortlisted?

2 Likes