UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

What is ZeeMee?

It’s just a space to ask things/get advice/communicate with other students. I’m not sure how active it is, but it’s student run/organized. Alternative to Discord, etc.

1 Like

As an academic (not in CS), I have always discouraged my children from following such a path. Sure, research can be fun. But the older you get, the more time you will inevitably spend on administration. Better to have a career that allows you to retire (or at least change jobs) when work becomes a grind.

5 Likes

How is the Berkeley area/campus? Heard it’s not safe or clean

1 Like

Someone mentioned to me that there is information on reddit that there is a glitch on the Berkeley portal in which some people are able to see the student name on an access screen. Has anyone heard about this?

@CaliBoy2024 there is a whole thread about portal astrology here: UC Berkeley Portal Astrology Discussion 2023

At this point, however, decisions are due to come out so soon that it’s hardly worth reading 1000+ messages about astrology. Also, it looks like there are some changes happening on the portal as well that make the astrology no longer valid (perhaps because Cal is aware that people are trying to sneak around the portal and gain info that way). So I don’t recommend getting into it at this point :wink:

4 Likes

agreed, @tamagotchi. Even for me, a self-described astrology nut last year. This year is pretty messy, and potentially hack-y.
@ucscuuw is over in the astrology trenches, doing a good job of trying to prevent people from getting into trouble.

5 Likes

But you (I think!) do it mainly for fun. Honestly, the people going nuts over there right now don’t really seem to be having much fun. It’s all anxiety, rumor, premature disappointment, and frantic attempts to find a definitive answer where one may not even exist. I think they may be taking a bit too far, even if I do sympathize with a desire to find out after a long wait.

9 Likes

well, sort of yes sort of no. I’m working on astrology-ing my third kid into Cal right now. None of them had any interest in finding anything out early, but they know I don’t have their willpower, so they happily gave me their MAP credentials. My daughter (HS Senior) has told me to “shut it” anytime I hint at the current astrology.
I’m kind of stepping away from it at this point.

2 Likes

Don’t blame you. And it won’t be much longer now. Good luck to you and your daughter!

2 Likes

I don’t think I can hold back that tidal wave. At this point, I’ve lost track of the various theories, and the related litany of message/code/URL permutations.

1 Like

@divarose is also fighting the good fight…But it seems to have taken on a life of it’s own, like Frankenstein’s monster. And where are all these new people coming from? Reddit refugees?

1 Like

It’s nutters over there that’s for sure

2 Likes

I’ll go on record saying it’s BS, lol. My kid got “forbidden” but I don’t think he’ll get into Cal. We’ll see…

2 Likes

I mentioned to my daughter that people have been going crazy over this for days, and she doesn’t want to touch any of it with a ten foot pole! Can’t blame her. :joy:

We are so close to the finish line on the long months of waiting for decisions, this final one kind of feels like an afterthought. Glad she’s sanguine about it all.

5 Likes

I don’t know! He’s got some good acceptances in hand, and Cal really goes its own way so he might well get in! Pulling for him.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s kind. I think his unweighted GPA is a bit low. But, he did put together a fantastic application really highlighting who he is and he does have some great acceptances so far.

5 Likes

Is likely is it that I can switch from undeclared l&s in math/physical sci to data science or computer science l&s?

1 Like

How likely*

CS is now a direct admit. There is a small discoverer pathway to CS, so I would say “not very likely but not impossible”.

3 Likes