UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Not everyone gets it. I would take it as a sign that you are still in the running.

3 Likes

Hi there, Parent of Class of 2026, My student was OOS from a public high school that only offered 8 AP’s. He took only 5 of those AP classes and was accepted (into L&S) so I think they must take into consideration what your HS offers. Good luck to your student!

5 Likes

Good to know, my son is in the same situation, his school also offers only 8 APs. Did your child finished 5 APs by the time he applied or by the end of his senior year? Thank you for sharing.
Thanks.

Will the kids who got into their ED choices be withdrawing their UC applications to make room for others at UCs? Who manages this process, the school counselors?

1 Like

Ultimately the student manages the process but it will be school dependent if the counselor is involved.

1 Like

They are suppose to but i do know many do not because they want to see if they would have gotten in. Large public high school here and definitely not keeping track

1 Like

Since the UC application process does not depend on counselors at all, it is all based on the honor system of students withdrawing UC applications if they get admitted ED somewhere.

At typical large public high schools, it is unlikely that counselors with caseloads of hundreds of students and a lot more than just college application matters to deal with are tracking ED and other college application rules and results that closely for each student. Obviously, it is different at elite private high schools with teams of college counselors who only handle college related matters (separate from any other counselors) and who have relationships with elite private colleges (they won’t get the student in, but can get a better idea about which students are more likely to be desired by each of those colleges, so they can advise students on their application lists with that in mind).

1 Like

What date are Berkeley decision released?

March 31.

Decision Date for 2022: A batch of early decisions was released on February 11, 2022, and the rest of the decisions became available on March 24, 2022 .

Usually near the end of March. They will post a date closer to decision time.

Thank you

1 Like

What if a student took AP Calc AB/BC, Physics etc in 9th grade? If that’s not counted by UC, isn’t that kinda like penalizing advanced math/science students??

1 Like

UC’s consider all A-G courses and grades including 9th grade.

Any AP courses taken in 9th grade would be noted for HS course rigor, just the grades and weighting would not be included in the UC GPA calculation. Also, UCB considers AP test scores in their application review so if the scores are good, they can help with admissions.

Great thank you for the clarification! It still feels a bit bummed 9th grade APs are not part of UC GPA calculation…

1 Like

Is he a CA resident? I’m surprised that a guidance counselor didn’t tell him when he enrolled in the courses. Maybe they did but it didn’t matter to him at the time.

Regardless, if a student took advanced classes in 9th grade, presumably they would follow that track and take advanced classes in 10th and 11th grade. If that were the case, they would receive the extra weighting in those courses and the student would not be penalized.

2 Likes

Thanks. No we are not CA residents.
If UC GPA mainly look at 10th/11th grade courses, then it won’t separate out the students’ academic level clearly enough as there would be no difference in term of total # of advanced classes.
Maybe the only way to tell the difference is through high school rigor as Gumbymom pointed out.

Following the most recent exchange on calculating GPA and being OOS applicant, let me add one more mystifying piece to the discussion. The UC policies provide that for applicants who are under 18 and who go to high school OOS (because they live with a non-resident parent) yet have another parent who is a CA resident, those students will be considered as in-state for purposes of admissions (not tuition but admissions, as tuition is a different policy). So, for those students all of these UC rules for gpa calculation would be completely foreign as our high school counselors are unaware of the “tricks.” It’s really unfortunate…

The UC GPA doesn’t mainly look at 10th and 11th grade, it only uses those grades. However, other factors are evaluated when determining whether a student is academically prepared and qualified to attend, including the number of college prep classes (ex. AP, IB).

From the Berkeley Admissions website

In addition to the basic admission requirements, the campus selects its freshman class through an assessment that includes a holistic review of your academic performance as measured primarily by:

• Your weighted and unweighted UC grade point average (calculated using 10th and 11th grade UC-approved courses only)
  • Your planned 12th grade courses
  • Your pattern of grades over time
  • The number of college preparatory, Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), honors and transferable college courses you have completed
  • Your level of achievement in those courses relative to other UC applicants at your school
  • Your scores on AP or IB exams and SAT subject exams
1 Like

Many schools do not allow 9th graders to take AP classes, or limit these classes in 9th grade to just one AP elective. Having the opportunity to take lots of AP classes in 9th grade may be more of an indicator of the type of high school attended, rather than the student’s academic level.

4 Likes

I agree. For example, my high school is very small and they don’t allow students to take AP classes in 9th or 10th grade. In 11th and 12th grade, students can only take a maximum of 2 AP Classes per year. I am wondering if the UCs take that into consideration or not.

3 Likes