UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

A few years ago, a neighbor ended up renting a 2 bedroom with 4 other girls - total rent was $4K/month for the apartment. I was shocked at the cost. Hopefully, things have stabilized a little since then.

Cal just hired a new men’s basketball head coach. For those that care, Cal had its worst basketball season in school history this year. It was beyond terrible to be honest. The new coach is Mark Madsen, a member of the Stanford basketball team in the late 90s. As a Cal fan, he was a guy that you couldn’t stand when he played for Stanford. But I don’t hate the hire as head coach. He seems like a pretty positive and enthusiastic coach, I just hope he can recruit. Step one is going to be to get fans back into Haas Pavilion to watch games because there was hardly anybody there this year.

Nice! Cal is way overdue for a winning basketball season.

2 Likes

$4K for a decent 2 bedroom in a good neighborhood would still be considered a fair price, imo. You probably wouldn’t be able to do much better unless - as hgtvaddict suggested - you get a room in a Greek house or find some other special deal (like a student renting out a room in an apartment their parents own or something).

2 Likes

My daughter had several friends who rushed a sorority just so that they could get housing. The added benefit is that it gave them a friend network in what can be a large, somewhat anonymous, college environment.

4 Likes

By the way, my D said she read somewhere (it’s always “somewhere” lol) that decisions were planned for 5 PM tomorrow. In the past it looks like it’s been 3 PM, so it’s possible they’ll be a bit later - just so people don’t freak if their portal doesn’t update right at 3.

1 Like

Agreed. S22 is in a dorm this year but he got recruited into a frat even though he did not rush. I’m now thankful for that since his housing and food costs will be cheaper than year 1 and pretty much guaranteed for the next 3. From what I understand the sororities have way more nicer houses.

2 Likes

Agreed! I also love that she has 60+ roommates that look out for each other.

3 Likes

Greek life is good at Cal? the house in on campus?

how big are the frats and soritites at Cal

1 Like

I went to Cal myself but was not involved in Greek life.

There is no housing (not even dorms) on campus. If you look on Google maps, you will see most of the Greek houses are on the south side of campus between Bancroft and Dwight.

My daughter loves being in a sorority at Cal. I think there are about 170 members in her chapter, and there are 13 Panhellenic chapters total. All chapters seem to be very involved on campus.
My daughter isn’t a stereotypical “sorority” type person; she’s quiet, reserved and a non-partier. She still has lots of fun in her chapter. Her chapter is very diverse and inclusive, too.
Her chapter house is a reasonable walk to campus and AC Transit stops.

2 Likes

May I ask which Sorority? My daughter is on the fence about Greek life… sounds like your daughter found a nice situation that works for her. :slight_smile:

I don’t have a whole lot of info other than on my son’s frat, but I believe there are a lot of frat and sorority houses along Piedmont Ave.

I’ll DM you :slight_smile:

If I apply for summer housing and live in Berkeley’s dorm over the summer, will I be in the same dorm during the fall and spring semester? Do I have to move out?

1 Like

Okay. What are the chances that a diverse 3.85/4.2 7 AP 3 Honors kid gets into Gender and Woman Studies? Good PIQs and EC but not great. I’m thinking 1 in 100.

What does she plan to do with that major?

Could be a good deal higher than that, there’s no way to say really. Her GPA looks relatively competitive (are those her UC GPAs or school GPAs - her UC GPAs may be higher?). Seven APs could be a good number, depending on how many are offered by her school and how many APs the average student at her school takes - number of APs is viewed in this kind of context. And hard to say what are good and what are great ECs - that also has to do with what opportunities were available to her as well as what the AOs are looking for to build a well-rounded class and no way to know that. And Gender and Women’s Studies isn’t an impacted major, so that helps.

2 Likes

Home making … Pre law or pre med

1 Like