UC Berkeley Class of 2027 Official Thread

Did anyone get a text message from berkeley?

2 Likes

I have a rising 2nd year at Cal, who has lived in a Foothill dorms double his first year (his first choice) - we chose to dig deeper into the 529 for 1st year housing, with the expectation that future years would need to cost less. Foothill is $$$ for our family. He was on the waitlist for the coops his entire freshman year and did get an offer for the coops recently (though not his first choice in the coops, basically his last choice). He also applied to live on campus for the second year and did get an offer during the second round (again it wasn’t one of his top 4 choices). He and 3 roommates found a nice apartment to rent in North Berkeley for $4800 with utilities extra. He’ll be in the shared room to pay less. I agree that if you can afford around $1000/month, you’ll be able to find housing after the first year, paying less than that could get tricky, and will definitely mean sharing a room. Ability to pay $1200+ will give you more options. My kid is having a great first year at Cal, and I was pretty nervous about it going in a year ago.

1 Like

https://www.northberkeleyproperties.com/
Real properties that Cal students are currently clamoring for.

2 Likes

Is he a STEM major?

Whoa you guys weren’t exaggerating about the prices. And most don’t include parking. Did rents go up dramatically after the pandemic, so maybe upwards in 2021?

Yes, but that’s not why he picked Foothill.

Why Foothill? It is on northside and far from most of the activity on southside.

1 Like

The Foothill vibe felt right to him. Not everyone loves or needs all the action on south side (and it’s still there when you want it). He’s met plenty of friends, had many opportunities to be social and had a lot of fun, but may have a different definition of fun than some. He’s an athlete (not at Cal) and has no issue with the hills and stairs.

1 Like

got it. thanks.

Ahhh I know these buildings well. :joy: The co-ops seem like a good living option if you can get one. My son’s friend from HS lives in one of those and likes it.

That’s interesting- I hadn’t heard that percentage before but I wonder if it could be of those that apply? There are a lot of other close yet pricey options. My UCB student did receive a housing offer for the third year in a row. First year dorms, second year she received a dorm offer but declined and shared a 2-bedroom apartment with 3 others because she was done with dining hall food and communal restrooms. For the upcoming school year she didn’t select the “any room any location” option and eventually received an offer for a university apartment.

2 Likes

what time does it come out? same time as ivy’s?

3ish

eastern or western?

1 Like

3pm PST

Well, today’s the big day! As I understand, it’s also Ivy Day, so some of you may be waiting on multiple important decisions today. Good luck to everyone! You will land in a great place, whether it’s the place you hope and expect, or whether it’s a place you hadn’t really given full consideration before. It will all work out in the end and you will have a fantastic experience. Your life is only just beginning today.

16 Likes

Go Bears!!

1 Like

I’m still pushing for the late summer CC potluck under the Campanile :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds fun!

2 Likes

Good luck everyone! If y’all thought the Nov to Mar wait was too long, the wait to 3.30 pst will feel longer. Enjoy the last bit of anticipation :crazy_face:

4 Likes