UC Berkeley Fall 2021: Transfer Thread

what did u say lmao

I really wouldn’t stress about what other people put. All they want to know is who YOU are and whether or not you are passionate about your desires and are confident that you can succeed there. (ofc they also want you to be intelligent lmao)

Yah you right thanks man

“Philosophy gave me an academic foundation as a torrent of A’s suddenly meandered down
My ghastly transcript, turning a once barren wasteland of Fs and WS into a tapestry of grades I hadnt received since my docile elementary school years…how does one prepare for a discipline that prides itself on insoluble questions. The maths and sciences can find solitude in the confines of rote learning and indubitable certainty, but philosophy has no such respite. It requires breaking down the foundations of knowledge, emptying your basket of apples, as Descartes would say…”

Anyone know if its a good sign if we have access to our CalNet ID again and can use CalNet Account Manager, and other related sites with the ID?

For the record, I’m a bit salty. Physicists like hawkings are always taking shots at Philosophy haha.

where did you get a CalNet ID?

The wording “rote learning” may be a bit strong but I agree with the sentiment. I find comfort in math’s objectivity and there’s no question that much of it is taught mechanically. The hard part of the sciences comes from trying to concretize and formalize a model, and that’s certainly a creative process. If a class is taught well you get to experience that, but I’ve found that sort of thing only in physics.

I took a summer class at Cal in 2019 and I created one back then but it expired in 2020. Suddenly I’m able to access and use it again, though oddly can logon to any Cal site with it but CalCentral.

Agreed, I think its a little strong (science is not very certain in specific fields), but nothing pretentious or anything in this statement. If anything, you’re explaining why Philosophy is for you, rather than stem

2 Likes

To be fair, it’s only way to teach it. What I was trying to convey was, and the rest of the essay would elaborate on it, that we’ve lost the passion for the humanities. We’ve forgotten to be humans. Instead, we mock it. I go on to cite Plato’s republic and talk about how it’s the reason we elect bad leaders.

Yeah, definitely shouldn’t have said that applying in one of the top tech schools in the world

I agree with Lets. I think you’re fine. Keep your head up. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input. Again, apologies to anyone offended by it.

Can you access calnet via MAP@Berkeley or with your Cal ID?

Both of them say unrecognized login for me when I try to get into CalCentral but I can use the CalNet ID to get into other websites like the CalNet Account Manager.

Is it possible you can link or Pm me the CalNet account manager I am seeing the same thing on Calcentral.

https://bpr.calnet.berkeley.edu/account-manager/

I am able to login to this with only my CalNet ID. The MAP@Berkeley login link asks me to set up a new CalNet ID and the button is greyed out.

Same with me. Button is green but its like its already pressed, do you mind me asking what your stats are like? I am top end of the top 25% for my major with all prereqs done.

3.98 GPA UCB TAP member, all prereqs done. Do you happen to have a CalNet ID too?