UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Top 9% ad it’s the ELC cut-off. This may go down more in coming years

Isn’t this a moot point since your child has been accepted to another school ED?

6 Likes

Oh, this is super cool. Thank you!!

@lkg4answers - LOVE that site…they have an admissions profile tab that is SPOT on what I was trying to recreate from InfoCenter…but they have it at even more granular 0.2 GPA intervals…That tab is very helpful, though it doesn’t easily allow IS/OOS distinctions, but it’s as close as we’re ever likely to get…THANKS!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Prospective Student questions on UC GPA and Test scores

Yes, it is. Had previously dug into those #s as well. What I found interesting is that for the most 3 recent cycles combined, COE admit rates for the most part have a linear relationship to the Uncapped WGPA. However, the admit rate for the 4.8-5 bucket is lower than the admit rate for the 4.6-4.8 bucket.

Don’t know if its simple yield protection (or) the fact the the holistic review process has a greater neutralizing impact towards the higher end of the GPA.

2 Likes

Looking at the GPA data discussed above, I get a feeling UC system admissions skew towards those who take only 5 courses each semester in grades 10 and 11. In my Texas school district, we must take 8 courses (with up to two of them being double blocks like sports or chamber arts which are considered level in all systems) per semester in grades 10 and 11. To achieve the max 4.4 in capped, a student should only take 5 courses per semester with 2 being honor considerations. And to get the max 5.0 in weighted GPA, a student should only take 5 courses per semester with all being honors. Is 5 courses per semesters a norm in CA?

We are in CA- and my son did 5/year (Math, science, history, language, English) and did swimming which was considered a last (or maybe 6&7) period. However- CA also requires a year of Art and a health class. He did those over the summers as he did club swim as well which was quite time consuming (3+ hours). Many kids take more and have the zero period which we didn’t let him do because of his swim schedule. Also- many classes at our school such as AP Calc BC and AP Physics 1/2 are year long courses (which my son did) and in some schools I see here drag it out over 2 years.

Regarding weighted/honors classes, our school has kids allowed to take 1 AP their sophomore year only and then they can take APs the last 2 years. The honors classes freshman year (English and history and honors freshman enhanced math 1 or 2) and honors bio are not weighted. The only honors class weighted are enhanced math III and honors chem (which would be sophomore year). And you must take honors chem and honors bio before AP bio and AP chem. Honors Spanish 4 is also weighted because for whatever reason, if you want to do AP Spanish- you are required to commit to 2 years (AP Spanish Lit and AP span Lang). You can’t just do one which I think is silly, esp if your kid like mine wants to double up on science and there’s no room in his schedule.

Thank you. Looks like the systems are all over the place depending on the state and even the district.
Same for me here with honors before AP except our honors is not considered by UC.

Yes, the CC forums are open to all - but this discussion thread is specifically for Class of 2026 applicants (as the title says).

Please start a new thread to discuss your son’s case so the rest of us can focus on our '26 applicants. Thanks.

I wonder if it is due to the current title. Some may think it is high school class of 2026 instead of high school class of 2022/college class of 2026.

Which honors are you not getting credit for. We don’t get much credit either.

Honors in Grade 10 (Chemistry, Computer Science, English) and Grade 11 (Precalculus). UC states OOS honors are not considered in their bonus GPA calculations.

We don’t have English either. We only have AP comp sci. We have honors EM 3 (which I guess is honors precalc and is weighted) but there is another precalc class and is not weighted. There is a difference here in precalc classes.

I did the honors CompSci in 10 and the AP in 11. Same for Chemistry. I guess it is what it is.:rofl::rofl:

As a point of clarification, the thread title is “UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion ,” so the discussion should be limited to UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026. Unrelated topics are best served in their own thread.

On a related note, please don’t flag posts simply because you don’t like the answer; that’s not a ToS violation. If anyone needs a reminder of the Forum Rules, I have included the link:

2 Likes

I have moved @Gujiwoo questions to a separate discussion to avoid any more confusion. Hopefully that is OK.

3 Likes

Fine with me. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi. I am curious what you mean by this. I understand that you are referring to COE admit rates, but are you implying that if you have a VERY high GPA, then it will somehow count against you? As in, the holistic process will frown up it because, maybe, you have spent too much time with school work and not enough time doing other activities?

To all the applicants and parents fretting about odds based on GPA in local context (i.e. what is an average GPA that Berkeley might use for your particular high school based on prior year admission), go to UC Information Center/Admission by source school/Freshman GPA by year. Here is a link: Admissions by source school | University of California. I did that for my kid and he needs to have a GPA (I assume Weighted and Capped GPA) of 4.25 to stand a chance of being admitted to Berkeley. Here is what the screen looks like:

4 Likes