UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

For the record, my D21 attends Cal Poly SLO and I’m no longer a subscriber to SLO Tribune.

I got tired of skimming through the latest “dune buggy off-roading ban” or “semi-truck stuck on Highway 101” type articles. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

It has been going on since last year and to be brutally honest, I don’t think UCB expected to lose the appeal. The judge has ordered the enrollment freeze, so truly the numbers are not being cut but yes the 3000 seats that were going to be added this year won’t probably happen is a huge loss. And I am sure it saddens and infuriates both in state and OOS applicants equally.

3 Likes

Berkeley clearly disclosed by talking about the lawsuit and there was enough press. That’s disclosure well in advance of the app season. Unfortunately, applicants are not shareholders and UCB isn’t subjected to SEC rules.

Sure, it would have been nice if UCB had put up a massive notice on the UC application site warning about potential issues but even that is unrealistic because UCs have a long history of facing non-stop lawsuits about one thing or the other, and it is unsustainable to engage in this practice. And the application site is a common portal so it would be confusing to put that kind of info out there which is specific to one UC.

We are all pretending that this disclosure would have somehow dissuaded us from applying. It may be true in some small number of cases, but for 99% of applicants it would have made no difference since most apply for multiple UCs and there is no UCB specific essays or application burden.

8 Likes

2 Likes

then why are you itching to send your kids here and pay outrageous fees? just don’t understand this mentality of bitching about a state while simultaneously talking about suing to get into that same state’s flagship public.

17 Likes

sounds to me like California isn’t the right fit for your student then…

7 Likes

Where? in the local papers and news channels? If so, then that’s in line with what we’re saying. That it wasn’t well known outside CA.

That’s what I meant when I said “under no obligation” :slight_smile:

Can’t speak for others, but in our case - yes it would have.

Anyway, 'nuff said. I’m moving on.
Thank you for your inputs.

2 Likes

We do have some occasional sanity here.

This made the national news last night. Voters recalled 3 SF school board members, because they wanted to rename 44 public schools, during the pandemic, even one named after Abraham Lincoln. Priorities, huh!

4 Likes

The Asian population overwhelmingly voted to remove them. While these other issues were pertinent indeed, what killed these board members was the conversion of the Lowell High school admissions process from a merit to a lottery system.

I hope CA parents direct the same level of anger at this UCB issue. We’ve been blowing up our state rep’s phone lines.

7 Likes

yeah, we’ll be the judge of that, thank you

Well actually Berkeley will, but ok…

10 Likes

Well,in that case you have my sympathies. No PR strategy would guarantee 100% reach to all affected constituents and there are always people who fall through the cracks.

yes, there are things you will never understand, so perhaps best left mysterious.
we’ll do what we feel like doing - its a free country! we can go to college wherever, live wherever.

Unless of course, you put that statement on the application page where applicants will see it.

Oops, I said I was going to move on. My bad :grinning:

How do you think Berkeley’s enrollment freeze will trickle over to impact admission the other UCs, as well as the other top 30ish universities around the country? The 3000 superstars who would’ve otherwise been admitted to Berkeley will be accepting spots at other equivalent schools. This will push all students down the selectivity hierarchy. UCSB, UCSD, and Davis may become more selective, but there could also be a nationwide ripple effect. There was a story about this on the front page of the New York Times today. Curious what others think.

2 Likes

“California” not= “Berkeley”

Read, mate

I think it is too late for it to have an impact on admission decisions at other schools - they already have their target admission and anticipated yield numbers, but it will clearly have an impact on yield. More applicants who didn’t get into UCB will accept offers at those other schools than those schools anticipated. That means less people on the wait lists at each school will get a slot, at the very least. There could be an over-enrollment issue as well (which could impact which classes students can get and housing, among other things). 3000 is not a small number.

1 Like
1 Like

If you divide the 3k reductions evenly across majors, its probably a minuscule impact but I would imagine that schools would up their yield estimates and perhaps wait list more than in the past.

3 Likes