UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

I would say if you are undaunted by the 14% admit rate, a 12% or 10% admit rate shouldn’t stop you from applying. Especially if you have good reasons to apply in the 1st place.

11 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to share this insight!

1 Like

Thank you for sharig the insights about UCB and UCLA

1 Like

Our experience at Cal. We have a current 3rd year student at UCB. From our experience, the automosphere is super competitive, but there’s still very much a collaborative vibe. GBO was great according to our bear. But he found Most of his friends through dorm and clubs and fellowship. Many clubs are super competitive and that was very disheartening at first. Our bear was top of his clubs in HS, but couldn’t make the first couple tryouts there (business clubs). He just found other clubs, more inviting where he’s thriving. He’s had some pretty disappointing registration slots, but has been able to fill his schedule. You have to be flexible and have multiple backups. Because so many students come in with AP credits many graduate in 3 years. Ours opted to add a 2nd major and minor. Advisors are hard to make appointments with, but make friends with GSIs and be persistent whenever you need anything from the administration, especially financial aid. I think crime/safety is scary but we live in the suburbs. He’s gotten accustomed to how to be safe. Helps, that he’s a tall guy.

10 Likes

Yes. We would have never applied!

Very interesting stats but i don’t know how they ensure accuracy on this. I don’t see how UCB not offering acceptance to the “lower” 5,100 students within the broader accepted pool (I realize this is an over-simplification) doesn’t have a material trickle down effect at UCLA and all the other UCs. With the UC pool comprising a high % of middle and lower class income students, i don’t think the OOS option is that viable for many. My expectation is that UCLA will dramatically lower their acceptance rate and UCSB/UCI/UCSD just got a fair amount more competitive. What will be interesting, in a bad way, is if the legal proceedings are still pending post-admissions announcement date, in which case, I would expect massive WL decisions at UCB and elsewhere …

1 Like

With my luck all of them would be majoring in Computer Science. Lol

3 Likes

Considering all the developments at UC-B, my kiddo says he will pick Georgia Tech over UC-B.
He is applying to CS.

2 Likes

Can somebody remind me what the typical decision announcement timeframe is for “normal” (non-Regent) applications? Do all the UCs announce same day/within a day or two of one another? I tried looking back in the thread, as I am confident this has been discussed…but we’ve gone down quite a few odd rabbit holes and I can’t easily find a date.

1 Like

UCB: 2022 decisions confirmed for March 24.

The rest of the decisions are from 2021 since 2022 dates not confirmed.

UCLA: 3rd Friday of March. Last year it was March 19.

UCSD: Last year, March 19

UCSB: Last year, March 16

UCD: Last year, March 18

UCI: Early CHP/Regents last year was March 5. Regular decisions in waves March 12.

UCSC: Last year rolling waves Feb 22-March 20

UCR: Last year rolling decisions starting March 1

UCM: Last year rolling decisions starting March 2.

13 Likes

I recall my middle son (who was accepted early) received his final offer (w/Regents) at the same time as his friends in mid-March. That is, I believe at least the CA students are all announced together.

I’m wondering the same. Were 2020 enrollment numbers depressed because of Covid (i.e., students taking a year off). Or, was UCB trying to increase by 3k and the city squashed it? If the latter, it’s not really a huge change from prior years.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: UC Berkeley Fall 2022: Transfer Thread

I was under the impression they filled open spots off the waiting list when kids opted to take a year off.

The Governor’s office filed an amicus brief in the lawsuit. It’s an election year. I imagine there is is a lot of pressure on the parties to settle this issue. Lawmakers are already saying California students should not lose spots.

6 Likes

Will this help? Dont understand the legalese

1 Like

I’m not a lawyer (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night), and my take is that it is great to have the support and a filed amicus (def. please?) from both the CA Gov AND the Berkeley City Counsel, who are also support UC Berkeley’s appeal for a one year stay. I will say that my understanding of how any Supreme Court works (my understanding being what I’ve seen in movies) is that they point to 1)precedents established from similar cases and 2) the Constitution. But since this is a state Supreme Court, I’m not positive. Maybe someone else can chime in?

2 Likes

It definitely puts pressure and makes a villain out of the ‘Save Berkeley’ group. Of course, the supreme court is supposed to rule without regard to pressure but with the AG, Governor, and the Legislature lining up behind against the lower court, its conceivable that the court just punts the issue by ‘staying’ the ruling for the current year.

5 Likes

Hope it gets punted. Will lessen the stress and anxiety for thousands of accomplished students and their parents

1 Like

Let’s hope that’s not really the case…if there is a larger than usual pool of admitted students waiting on the sidelines after a gap year, that would be a double whammy…the current court ruling ties student levels to a “low” year of attendance, at the very same time we would have a record number of spots already “filled” for the current incoming class…making it more competitive than it ever has been!

Fingers crossed that all the 3rd parties weighing in as “Friends of the Court” (that’s what the amicus status is…outside, interested parties, weighing in with info that they think may be helpful to the court in making its decision).

2 Likes