UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

It’s not easy to apply to so many… it was tough financially and also it was a lot of work for my daughter and I can guarantee quality suffered towards the end…very happy to hear about your son, congratulations!!!

4 Likes

Should have considered applying to SJSU CS. That’s as good as some of the out of state schools mentioned.

The CS cutoff for SJSU (capped) was 4.35 (3480 total points=800*GPA) though I hear. So, without the local (Santa Clara) added 200 points, I dont think 4.3 would have made it.

After all the high taxes we pay; and all the rigor/grind in high school kids our kids go through; this seems totally unfair to them.

We lived in top school districts of Boston suburbs before we moved to SJ 8 years ago and know what kids do there vs. a rather run of the mill school district in San Jose area (am not naming it). The(mid tier school disritcts) San Jose area kids are working 2x harder, have much better portfolios than the eqv in top Boston areas. Yet, they have poorer options for college.

Something is amiss.

4 Likes

They clean out the reject piles very quickly, based on some metrics and thresholds; and maybe reading a small x%.

It shouldn’t! I was accepted to UCLA and went entirely test optional, no SATs or APs!

4 Likes

All are good choices.

UCLA like all the UC’s are test blind, not optional. Also UCB specifically states they do consider AP scores in their application review.

3 Likes

So crazy, and disappointing as a California family. BUT, not all decisions are in, and wait list, although excruciating, can in turn into acceptances

5 Likes

Yes, though UCB does not require AP scores for admission, they can be self-reported, and if they are, they will be used for application review, but they are not required until you are an admitted student as any scores sent prior are simply, as UCB says “value added”.

3 Likes

I don’t think so. Think about if some applicants with the minimum GPA like 3.0 to apply, will they read it or they put it aside first and take care the 4.0/4.8 applicants first?

I would think anyone with 4s and 5s on APs would definitely submit as it certainly adds value.

UIUC Computer Engineering is one of the best programs in the world. Congratulations! My husband and I both went to UIUC and are doing really well. The only down side to the midwest is the winters, but you get used to them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thought about it, but we’re in the Bay Area and he wasn’t excited about staying so local. He’s not even that excited about UCB for the same reason but would probably jump on it now that he’s been rejected or waitlisted for his So. Cal. options. His CSU GPA is 4.33, so maybe he would have missed SJSU anyway.

1 Like

NM is not a full ride. It is 20 to 28 K discount
So 50 to 55 K if no financial need demonstrated

1 Like

For Northeastern I mean, it is not

I think once you get through the initial hoops (GPA, etc) they def do. My kiddo got in a few years back and I think the PIQs made the difference.

No offense but TAMU does not really feel harder to get into these days. Lol. Kind of a bad example. I have classmates in the 25% of the class getting in. I really don’t know anyone that wanted I that didn’t get in, one way or the other. Back in my moms day, she had friends not get in because they were top 11%. All the gateway, TEAB, TEAM, PSA, options available these days makes it easy. The real problem is some of these state schools are busting at the seams!! Texas and CA are huge populations and it’s getting hard for the schools to keep up; hence the UCB lawsuit. Probably need to start building more schools. Seriously. This is getting bad. I feel awful for CA students!!! Doesn’t help that OOS kids also want their schools. It’s rough.

2 Likes

According to ask Ms. Sun…

Students not admitted to the GMP program will be considered for admission to Undeclared in the College of Letters and Science.

This content is copyrighted and retrieved from https://■■■■■■■■■■■■/uc-supplemental-applications/

does anyone know approximately what time PST Berkeley will release their decisions on the 24th? what time has it been in the past?