UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Is CS major at L&S capped? How difficult is to get into it (access to the prerequisite courses and other required courses)? Any idea?

1 Like

Yes, CS in the College of L&S is a capped major. To declare the major, a student must complete CS 61A, CS 61B, and CS 70 with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.30 in those 3 courses in order to apply to the major.

Around 45% of the students are able to achieve the 3.3 GPA requirement to declare the major. The required CS classes are one of the largest classes at UCB but I do not have specific data on how difficult it is to get into these classes as a Freshman student.

This video might explain things better: CS major Information Session for Students admitted to L&S - YouTube

Thank you so much Gumbymom.

1 Like

Here is more information on the grading system for these pre-req courses: A Guide to Declaring Computer Science at Berkeley – Association of Women in EE&CS

@Gumbymom do you have similar numbers regarding the econ major at Cal? (what % of students are able to achieve the min. gpa)
thanks!

The “around 45%” CS information was taken from a couple of sources from the information sessions of the last couple of years. I have not found a direct source on the UCB website which states the actual percentage. Perhaps @ucbalumnus might know where to find the Econ data?

1 Like

The best available public information on the subject would be the grade distributions for each of the prerequisite courses used toward the GPA for admission to the major.

3 Likes

Did anyone else here get the link from Zeemee app asking to join a group chat for Berkeley applicants and it addressed my son by name. I am wary of such unsolicited texts. @Gumbymom can you please let us now if this is legit,

Yes, my kid did. I was also wary.

Does anyone have information about how many UCB students who are interested in the Haas business school are ultimately able to get into their desired major?

The Zeemee app is legit but according to social media, not very active. UCB’s Facebook for students and parents is far more active.

1 Like

Here is some data regarding HAAS admits: Class Profile - Undergraduate Program - Berkeley Haas

Thank you so much @Gumbymom

Thank you @Gumbymom !

So it looks like only 1/3 of applicants admitted — and that doesn’t count the ones who gave up and switched majors rather than even submit an application. Not great odds.

1 Like

Our son also received it. We looked it up. Zeemee seems legit, just wondering why he was invited? Any insights?

1 Like

Looks like you can connect with Student advisors via Zeemee for UCB. See link: https://admissions.berkeley.edu/student-advisors

1 Like

Thxs. Idk if he’ll use it, but nice to know it’s available.

Anyone who has applied for the MET program got the video essay requests?

@Gumbymom , All,
My D submitted her UC applications on 11/4/2021, but has not received any portal emails from UCB. She got them from others, but not from UCB. Should she be checking with someone?

1 Like