UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

What she said in her video (it’s on Instagram, admissionsmaven) was that the UCs accepted a smaller amount of initial admits and bulked up their waitlists because they over admitted last year – and didn’t want to do that again. So, I think she’s saying that once people start accepting, rejecting offers they will look to the waitlist in higher numbers than usual.

I think that once the Berkeley notices come out today – this is the last UC, no? Things might start moving around.

5 Likes

This will only hold true if the yield turns out to be a lot less than expected right? And the “expected” yield has probably already been revised upwards based on last year’s over enrollment.

So personally, we are going to treat a WL the same as a denial.

2 Likes

You are correct that the UC guru was saying that the UCs will end up needing to pull more from the WL this year than usual (but conversely more kids will be on the WL – so the numerator and denominator will increase and the net effect should be that more kids on a % basis will get admitted off the WL). UCB is the last UC. I wouldn’t expect any WL movement until after the SIR deadline on May 1st. The UCs won’t have enough intel about acceptance data before then to do anything with the WL.

1 Like

I think she was saying the UCs have been overly cautious (not simply a recalibration to more realistic yields) with acceptances which suggests they likely will need to pull more kids off the WL than in a typical year.

2 Likes

That is clear thinking. If the yield had normally been about 35% and now 50% are accepting, then absolutely they won’t accept 3x as many available spots and will only accept 2x since more students are accepting and less need to even resort to the WL. The UCs are the deal of the century if you are a CA resident. “Cheap” tuition in mostly wonderful locations, stellar reputation. Landing an acceptance is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

5 Likes

What time will decisions be out?

3 Likes

The CS courses at Cal are taught in the most wonderful way, but beware the housing is shabby. The education at Cal cannot be bettered. The problem sets train you to think at an amazing level of sophistication. The other good thing is all the previous year exams and answers are there for you to prepare from. And still the profs come up with new challenging problems every semester. For the funmost educational experience, choose Cal.

2 Likes

Yield in absolute #s (not just %) could be much lower than usual if they are accepting more of the high end students as % of overall acceptances and if the overall acceptance #s are lower. That said, i have seen many extremely high stat kids getting WL’d at UCSC, UCD, etc., so my argument could be off if some of the UCs actually did some yield management in their acceptances. But if accepted students at UCSD, for example, with 4.7+ GPAs (uncapped) represent a higher % of the admitted pool than usual, that will result in a lower yield than usual in UCSD initial acceptance round since their options, speaking purely in generalities, will be more plentiful than kids, say, with a 4.4 GPA. This would result in way more WL acceptances than usual.

3 Likes

I have the sense (anecdotally; not backed by any firm data) that students on average applied to more schools this year. If that’s true, it could also have an effect on yields at some of these schools. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

3 Likes

I would agree. Most people I know applied to 5/6 at least.

Thank you!

I know kids who applied to 20+. My D applied to 13 which was less than most of her HS peers.

4 Likes

Facts, I applied to 25ish schools. For mental health and sanity reasons, I do NOT recommend this to rising seniors I just felt so scared bc of how increasingly competitive college admissions is but please know your worth is not defined by the amount of accpetances/rejections you have and where you go!!

17 Likes

Yep my son applied to 20 schools but most were UCs and CSUs. He was WL at UCI and UCSD, denied at UCLA and UCSB, and accepted at UCD. Got into all the CSUs he applied to. Still waiting on Cal Poly SLO. After all that, he will most likely end up at Chapman since they gave the most merit.

3 Likes

I applied to 20 in total. I had 17 but added 3 after I got scared when my ED (Penn) choice deferred me. Out of the 20, nine or ten were EA and one ED. It became very stressful. However, with all the EA decisions came, the stress for end of March is down because I have several choices.

3 Likes

After my S19s experience, D22 applies to 22 colleges. As of today: Admitted to 11 (3 in-state and 8 OOS), Deferred to RD in 2, Rejected at 3, Waitlisted at 2, and 4 still outstanding. The pending 4 are critical for deciding as 2 of them are in-state for us.

2 Likes

My husband and I LOVED UC Davis!!!

9 Likes

I cannot imagine.

My daughter was accepted to Davis!! What did you love about it? We are trying to get up there for a visit in April.

1 Like

Check your portals. Daughter reporting decisions out.

1 Like