UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Applicants to UCs do not choose any type of “early” or “regular” action/decision when applying for admission, but the schools could notify some applicants earlier than the promised notification date. This is also true for CSUs – indeed, some CSU decisions have been reported as coming very early, because some CSU campuses and majors are basically auto-admit with stated minimum qualifications, and even competitively determined thresholds are determined by a mostly-GPA point system with no subjective aspects.

1 Like

Thanks @ucbalumnus. Good info.

By decision, I meant a decision to the school itself regardless of the MET program. Do you know the answer to this question?

You will only get 1 decision so if you applied to the MET program, you will either hear in February with an acceptance or have to wait until March for either an acceptance/rejection to that program.

UCB does not normally consider alternate majors however, you could be considered for BioE, CE, EECS, IEOR, MSE or ME majors but not guaranteed.

Presumably, you mean whichever CoE major you applied to as part of MET, meaning that applicants to MET could get one of the following decisions?

• Admitted to MET: CoE major + business.
  • Admitted to CoE major only.
  • Not admitted.
1 Like

I edited the above post to say “UCB does not normally consider alternate majors” but according to the FAQ’s for the MET program, the applicant may be considered for one of the Engineering majors.

Q: If I am not selected for the M.E.T. program, am I still eligible for other majors at Berkeley?
A: M.E.T. is highly competitive. The number of admitted applicants is kept small to ensure close mentoring and a tight-knit cohort. Applicants who are not admitted to the M.E.T. program will be automatically considered for admission to Berkeley Engineering’s BioE, CE, EECS, IEOR, MSE or ME majors. However, admission to these majors is not guaranteed.

Hi - what does GMP and MET stand for? thanks

2 Likes

Management, Entrepreneurship, & Technology and Global management program

When it comes to the COE slots, does this mean someone who applies to MET unsuccessfully is at a disadvantage to someone applying to just COE?

My son received a LOR request on Dec 7 and we live in San Jose, CA.

At least 9 other students at his public high school received LOR requests too.

1 Like

MET has <3% acceptance rate while EECS which is probably the most competitive COE major has around a 5% acceptance rate. Not a huge difference but as stated on the UCB website, the MET program is Highly Competitive.

I am unable to find any stats on how many declined MET applicants were actually offered admission into the COE.

Thanks for clarifying GMP/MET. sounds like this is something the student selects while applying, correct?

Wow, that seems like a lot from one school. I wonder if they increased the number of LOR requested this year.

This is at a school w/1600 students and high percentage of students qualified for free/reduced lunch (well lunch is free now to all students this school year). Not sure that makes any difference. Our academic counselor sent an announcement in early Dec asking students who received the LOR from UCB to attend a quick meeting to review due dates and other info since it was rolling in to the holidays and a winter break.

I thought UCB could request up to 15% of LOR’s from their applicants?

@Gumbymom - Thanks for all the great info…I’m curious if you have any general ballpark for what constitutes High Stat candidates that are typically considered for Regents and Chancellor programs?

If applying to MET is a disadvantage then the COE need to make it crystal clear. A college that doesn’t offer an alternate major needs to be much more forthcoming.

You can look through previous year discussions to see if early admits posted their stats. Start with post 209 on this link: *UC Berkeley Class of 2025 discussion** - #213 by Kgc1234

UCB Engineering along with their special programs such as MET and GMP are highly competitive so no applicant should expect to get into any of these majors (you hope to). If you check the MET FAQ’s there is good information indicating the difficulty of admission:

Q: What are the prerequisites for applying?

A: M.E.T. applicants must meet UC Berkeley’s** basic admission requirements**. The M.E.T. program is small and selective, enrolling students with exceptional academic records and a demonstrated interest in combining engineering and business.

Q: Is there a waitlist for M.E.T.?

A: No, there is no waitlist for M.E.T.

Q: Is there an appeal process for those who are not accepted to M.E.T.?

A: We regret that we are unable to offer admission to all qualified applicants, however, there is no appeal process for the M.E.T. program. Every application has gone through extensive reviews, and admissions decisions to the program are final. If you have any questions about the admissions process, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Q: Can I transfer into the M.E.T. program once I start at Cal?

A: Freshman applicants who were not accepted to the M.E.T. program may apply to the M.E.T. program through the Continuing Admissions process launching in 2021. More details can be found here.

Q: If I am not selected for the M.E.T. program, am I still eligible for other majors at Berkeley?

A: M.E.T. is highly competitive. The number of admitted applicants is kept small to ensure close mentoring and a tight-knit cohort. Applicants who are not admitted to the M.E.T. program will be automatically considered for admission to Berkeley Engineering’s BioE, CE, EECS, IEOR, MSE or ME majors. However, admission to these majors is not guaranteed.

Q: Can I select a different fallback major option outside of Engineering in College of Engineering?

No, applicants cannot select M.E.T. as a major choice and an alternate major in College of Letters & Sciences or Business Administration through Berkeley-Haas.

Q: Does being denied from M.E.T. count negatively against you when considered for BioE, CE, EECS, IEOR, MSE, or ME?
A: No, it does not count negatively against you.

https://met.berkeley.edu/faqs/

1 Like

Do students get acceptance with the LOR request as well?

1 Like

Without the LOR request?