UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Great. You did not REA?

Hello!

Happy to say my D22 was accepted to Berkeley. I don’t know all her stats but she did well!

Anyone have a good place to direct us to figure out the Berkeley housing situation (other than the school’s resources). It would be greatly appreciated.

11 Likes

DS22 in-state got accepted. W-4.5/UW-3.85/12 APs/SAT-1580. Congrats to all who got admitted. Go Bears!

8 Likes

To be clear, that’s not an update, it’s the unverified report from two unverified people–(1) an alleged “CS advisor” who both claims there’s a “new policy” while also suggesting the policy may not be enacted; and (2) a lecturer who has announced on twitter he’s quitting Cal because he’s “not been giving the chance to do anything other than teach the same two classes over and over and over again,” who sounds like he has quite the axe to grind. If he hadn’t quit, I would think his inflammatory reddit post might get him fired.

Congrats! Are you looking for off-campus housing? Or trying to find out more about the housing situation in general?

My daughter was admitted! :tada: L&S

In-state, Bay Area, public high school (one of the top in CA)
4.2 UC GPA, no rank
12 APs and college courses
varsity sport 4 years, captain
excellent and focused ECs
good PIQs (I think)

Accepted:
UNC Chapel Hill
UCSC

Waitlisted:
UCSD
SDSU
Scripps
Cal Poly

Rejected:
UCLA
UCSB

Waiting:
USC

7 Likes

D accepted in integrative bio. 4.48 W GPA, 3.96 UW.

South Bay, competitive public school.

Year long research in the chemistry department of Berkeley with good final impact in terms of results, and a summer research in Stanford.

Has UCSD and UC Davis admits in similar pre med type majors.

UCLA WL.

5 Likes

Admitted!!
OOS Public High School
4.0 UW, 4.69 W
Major: Film & Media
12 AP’s (most school offers)
4 year Varsity Athlete (Captain)
National Club Team Athlete x 3 years (Captain)
Founder of Nonprofit
Competitive State Summer Programs (1 Science, 1 leadership)
Photographer featured in Teen Vogue and reposted by several well-known artists (5M+ following)
Foreign Language Tutor
Robotics Engineer and Media Outreach Coordinator
President of 3 heavily involved in clubs

Also Accepted: UCLA, UCSB, Boston College, Villanova, University of Manchester
Waitlist: Claremont McKenna
Rejections: n/a

6 Likes

Congrats to your daughter! You had mentioned she was going into the same major as my D22. Mine was waitlisted, but can’t help but think out of the 4 UC’s she applied to, the idea of “fit” seemed to be right on. She was accepted into UCSC and waitlisted at UCB — her PIQ’s and activities highlighted her strong activism and penchant for organizing. She was rejected by UCSB and UCLA, so was not expecting UCB today. I feel like both schools really “got” who she is and that feels validating to her! Her stats weren’t super high, (3.74 UW, 3.96W) so the holistic approach definitely helped garner a waitlist spot at UCB.

1 Like

Wow, so there really is a method to the madness! I remember, Feminist Studies at UCSC, right? At UCB, it’s Gender and Women Studies. I totally agree, it really seems that these schools “got her”. After the UCLA and UCSB rejection, she was definitely not expecting this! I am happy to hear your daughter has a spot on the waitlist and I am wishing her the best!

1 Like

I got in, but I’m confused. How hard is it to major in CS if you’re in L&S?

2 Likes

Okay

I really hope so — I’m in the vulnerable position of being accepted into L&S without indicating CS. The website clearly states that you CAN indicate CS but it wasn’t required.

Hopefully those of us in the same situation can get more information about this before committing on 5/1. If this is truly an issue, I may need to consider going to UCI or UCSD instead.

1 Like

OOS D22 did not make it but no qualms/regrets about applying or the process. Kudos to the CA State/UCB for freezing the SBN issue so not to impact decisions too much along the way.

Btw, isn’t nice not to deal with EA/ED/ED2 and all of the decisions come out at once? At least, D22 thought so even though the wait can be taxing.

Cal is a truly unique and wonderful place. Congrats to all the admits! May all of your dreams come true!

6 Likes

Thank you for the information but I also believe that going into a school and knowing all the details is vital, especially if they plan to change policy mid-stream. Since there has not been a formal announcement, I will take it as hearsay. Hopefully UCB will do the right thing and grandfather all new students into the program before shutting this door.

Right now here is the policy to declare CS from the College of Letters and Sciences:

Take the introductory Computer Science courses (CS 61A, CS 61B, and CS 70), and maintain a 3.3 GPA within these courses in order to “declare” their major as Computer Science .

This GPA calculation only utilizes courses taken on the UC Berkeley campus. You can calculate your CS GPA using this CS Pre-Major GPA Calculator.

While there are only 3 prerequisite courses required to declare the major, there are additional lower division courses (described here) required for the CS major. To be minimally prepared for this major, you should have completed equivalents of at least Math 1A, 1B, and Math 54 at your community college.

You should assume that your first semester will be spent completing technical requirements that you were unable to take at your community college. In some cases, it will take 2 semesters to do this. Since admissions decisions for this major will be based on the technical prerequisites taken at Berkeley, it is important that you maximize your potential for doing well. We recommend that you take only 2 technical courses a semester. However, since you need to complete lower division requirements as soon as possible, it may be necessary to take 3 technical courses your first semester of enrollment.

1 Like

Rejected
OOS
3.97 uw 4.7 weighted
Rank 1/653
Lots of leadership

Accepted: UCSB, UCSD, USD, Santa Clara, Grinnell, Case Western, plus others
Denied: UCLA
Waitlisted: Scripps
Deferred: Cornell

Waiting on: USC, Northwestern, Emory

2 Likes

The acceptance letter mentioned that the college is L&S. Had no mention of the major (int. bio) she applied in. Is that the case?

Are majors assigned later? How does the freshman year work.

College of L&S does not admit by major.

Each major has different requirements in order to declare and different processes. Most major departments in L&S have clear guidelines for declaration on the major’s website. If you have trouble finding your department’s website, you can always go to the Berkeley Academic Guide(link is external) to look up your major. Click to find the department’s website link under either “About the Program” or under “Contact Information.”

Declaring the Major

In order to declare Integrative Biology as a major, students must have completed certain prerequisites. For information regarding these courses, please see the Major Requirements tab. Students must have the following minimum grade point averages (GPA) to declare: 2.0 average overall, 2.0 average for all major requirements (lower and upper division combined), 2.0 average for all upper division major requirements. All declaring students must meet with a staff adviser and a faculty adviser as part of the declaration process.

At the time of declaration, students must have completed:

AND be enrolled in or have completed:

• Either CHEM 3B or the second biology course (see above) and receive an average grade or better on the midterm exam
  • Either INTEGBI 77A or INTEGBI 77B
3 Likes

no, I got rejected from QB National College Match Finalist and the turnaround time was too short. I wanted to apply Stanford REA but ultimately it was the better choice to apply RD because of the time constraint.