UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

ACCEPTED OOS for Molecular and Cell Biology!!
3.9 UC GPA / (4.15 W)
act: 35

other results:

wait list: UNC-CH, Lehigh, Boston College, Colgate

rejected: UVA ED, Vandy ED2, villanova, UT austin, notre dame

4 Likes

I would like to think that as well but it prompted me to call one of the CS advisors to verify whether that was true or even under consideration. The advisor confirmed that this was already voted on and approved but hasn’t been made official yet. Once it is official, there will be no grandfathering even for current freshmen and sophomores at Berkeley. Go ask for yourself.

https://eecs.berkeley.edu/resources/undergrads/cs/advising

3 Likes

Best of luck to you

1 Like

In the same boat as you. That’s why I’m raising awareness and hopefully trying to get an official statement before May 1. Will be considering other CS programs that I am already in at: UCSD, Davis, UCSB, SJSU.

1 Like

The chances of getting into a UC as a transfer from a CC are much higher than as a freshman admit. It’s a valid route to take, and one that can also save you tens of thousands of dollars. Be sure to sit down with a counselor at the CC to map out the plan. It’s very important to take the right courses based on what you want to major in and which UC you want to transfer to.

4 Likes

As my son tells me (currently a freshman), homelessness is everywhere, not just Berkeley. If you leave them along and they will generally do the same. He’s walked the streets 2am in the morning, taking the Bart at late hours to and from San Francisco, and he always laughs when I question area security. He says to just use common sense, which applies everywhere you go, and you should be fine.

In fact, he just came back from visiting friends at NYU and he felt that Berkeley is safer. Major problems of homelessness around nyu as well but he actually feels like it’s more tamed at Berkeley.

3 Likes

Son accepted.
Civil Engineering
In State - 4.0UW, 4.3UC Capped, 4.5UC uncapped
All classes taken in HS (no Summer/College courses)

ECs - clubs with leadership roles, school level award, talented musician, unusual interest with deep involvement/commitment over time across a few ECs (also a PIQ topic). No sports to speak of.

Also accepted: UCSD, SCU, Colorado School of Mines, UW, University of Arizona
Waitlisted: UCD, UCI
Denied: UCLA, Stanford, Mudd

5 Likes

PSA: from a tweet I saw earlier today, Cal undergraduate admissions office is closed today and will re-open Monday (3/28)

1 Like

I understand where you’re coming from, but I maintain it’s not appropriate to post inflammatory rumors on this site, especially when they are coming from a disgruntled soon-to-be-former employee at Cal, whose current position as “lecturer” makes it seem official when it is not. He’s angry his scope of work wasn’t expanded beyond two classes and seems determined to scare prospective students away. I wouldn’t act on anything you shared without getting an official statement from either the admissions department or the department chair, not some random “advisor” and definitely not from some angry lecturer.

I wish you both luck that you’re able to pursue the major you want and that you find great satisfaction in doing so, whether that’s at Berkeley or elsewhere!

3 Likes
  • Brother - Rejected (OOS)
  • Pre-Psychology / Letters & Science
  • UW GPA: 3.94 / Capped UC GPA: 4.19 / Uncapped UC GPA: 4.44
  • 11 HLs, 9 APs, 4 DEs, 2 CLs @ UCLA
  • Summer research @ UCSF, JROTC (4 years), 2 summer programs @ UCLA, class president (4 years), president for 3 clubs, NHS, soccer team captain in local adult league, part-time work at family business, other random ECs, miscellaneous volunteer, minor awards, etc.
  • PIQs had a connected theme but different contexts; very personal; thought they were good
  • Cal did ask for additional LORs, but one teacher got theirs in post-deadline :roll_eyes:

He was accepted to UCD, UCSC, UCI, UCSD, UCSB, but waitlisted at UCLA. He wasn’t so disappointed about this rejection given that he wants to be in SoCal, but I must say, as a Cal alum, I’m a little bummed! But oh well :man_shrugging:t3: Congratulations to everyone who got in! Although there were times where it was hard, I absolutely loved my time at Berkeley and miss it a whole lot. To those who decide to enroll, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it as well! Go Bears!

9 Likes

Homeless people are a big problem at Berkeley. My son was walking out of a shop and a homeless guy out of nowhere punched him in the face - then the guy walked away apologizing - clearly schizophrenic or something. My son was stunned and did not respond - we reflected with him on that probably being the correct response (he is pretty big would have been able to respond but did not want to escalate the situation). We are waiting to see if our daughter will be accepted as a transfer (she already has great options) but would want to make sure she is always taking precautions if she ends up going to UCB.

3 Likes

Any advice on whether our child should attend admitted students day on Sat, Apr 23 or schedule a tour on a weekday when school is in session? Assuming we can only do one. Thanks!

100% admitted students day

4 Likes

Do you think it is still useful for parents to attend, if kid is going to be away that day?

My personal opinion is that it is important for the student to see the campus and surrounding community. If your student can’t make Cal Day then I would try to find a time when they can visit and tour campus.

2 Likes

Will plan for both then. Thanks!

1 Like

We signed up for Cal Day (apr 23rd). Campus is always buzzing, even on weekends. During the week, especially around 12 or 1 when a lot of classes let out, there are THOUSANDS of students walking around.

I’d probably lean towards Cal Day, as it’s specifically set up for incoming freshmen. There will be lots of booths/activities set up for several of the clubs and organizations that will be recruiting members. I’m sure the Cal band will be there in some form, as well as the dance/cheer teams. Also there is a Cal vs UCLA baseball game that day, as well as a Cal v Stanford Lacrosse game, so you can see some school spirit stuff.

2 Likes

what was that event signup page again :sweat_smile:

well, heres the link https://calday.berkeley.edu/
HOWEVER, I don’t think it works yet. BUT my son accepted his admission last night, deposit etc, and was able to sign up from something called the Admitted student portal. looks like april 1st you can sign up if you haven’t decided on Cal yet.

1 Like

My son said he signed up for Cal day yesterday.

1 Like