UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

I’m curious for those students admitted, how was it mentioned in the portal whether the offer is in person, virtual or later admission start? Ie in Jan 2023?

Ours didn’t say anything about being virtual. The letter basically said “You have been admitted for the fall semester of 2022 to the College of Letters and Science.” That’s pretty much about it. No confetti or anything like that.

1 Like

Will undeclared major students of Class 2026 in Letters & Sciences be able to decare CS (computer science) in the future? There are conflicting reports, but a definite answer will play a major role in choosing between UC Berkeley and other universities.
Many thanks,

1 Like

I suggest you contact the CS department and get your answer. Nothing has been officially posted by UCB but definitely a consideration.

1 Like

I was told that an announcement is forthcoming. I would suggest holding off from committing to Berkeley until after the announcement.

1 Like

I really hope they announce well before Cal Day. I bet there are a number of L&S admits who might decide to go elsewhere if Berkeley comes out with a restrictive policy.

3 Likes

Has any of the accepted candidates received FA or scholarship info from Berkeley yet? S22 received his paper acceptance letter in the mail today but still no FA info on the portal.

Hi - D22 got into political economy . Any resources on this forum that focus on this major?

You might hv to call the fa office. This happened for us with Ucla. They had us put hus ssn in his ucla account.

1 Like

S22 accepted, in-state
4.0 UW, 4.63 W, 4.83 Uncapped UC GPA
16 APs (10 AP scores - nine 5s and one 4)
Large Public
ECs: Research at a very selective summer program, Varsity Volleyball
Major: Chemistry
Accepted: UCB (College of Chemistry), UCLA (Regents Invitation), UCD, UCSD, UCSB, UCI (Honors), Georgia Tech, WUSTL, Williams, ASU
Waitlisted: Rice, Vanderbilt (declined)
Rejected: Pomona

I love what I’ve read about Berkeley’s College of Chemistry…anyone else here admitted to the college?

5 Likes

We are from OOS and have never been to Berkeley and will go next week to visit. S22 is signed up for an admitted student tour. But I was wondering what else we should see to give him a feel for student life there.

1 Like

Here’s some ideas for just what to do in addition to your question (I have a junior and rising freshman). We are kinda local. Check out a Cal athletic event, play, concert etc. Just hang out on one of the many large green spaces and people watch. Take a stroll away from campus along telegraph and either be invigorated or nervous by the vibe he gets from it, walk along frat row. Check out Moe’s books, or games of Berkeley. Grab lunch at Jupiter. Sit in the courtyard of one of the “unit” dorms and observe. Get some swag at bear basics (might only be open weekends right now) so could just go to the main student store right near the Sather gate. Hike up to “the big C,” a short, but steep hike. Find Bowles dormitory and consider if he would want to apply to that for housing. Climb up the Camponile. Check out the botanical garden. GO BEARS!

10 Likes

Can concur with all of @disneygirl14 's suggestions. Check out College Ave. Get pizza at Zachary’s Chicago Pizza. For a totally different pizza experience do the Cheeseboard. Delish. Go sailing at the Berkeley Marina. Open to students and general public too. Cal Sailing Club. Take a hike on the many trails above the campus. Go see the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs. May be closed to visitors at the moment but also has a great view from way way way up the hill. https://visits.lbl.gov/.

2 Likes

Oopsy meant to reply to @Evie800
Can concur with all of @disneygirl14 's suggestions. Check out College Ave. Get pizza at Zachary’s Chicago Pizza. For a totally different pizza experience do the Cheeseboard. Delish. Go sailing at the Berkeley Marina. Open to students and general public too. Cal Sailing Club. Take a hike on the many trails above the campus. Go see the Lawrence Berkeley National Labs. May be closed to visitors at the moment but also has a great view from way way way up the hill. https://visits.lbl.gov/.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. For the housing info I’m looking for a few things, that I don’t see on the official websites (for incoming Freshmen):

1. Am looking for just the inside scoop on how to apply for the freshman choices (which to prioritize first/second and why? which dorms? which room configurations? is there a strategy to get something based on the lottery and your choices versus others’ choices?)
  2. Am looking for how it works and what to plan for for Sophomore year (when, as I understand it, OCH is very unlikely)?

I was hoping there’d be a group somewhere or a blog post or something. Reddit looks snarky as heck and not positive on any level.

Didn’t see one here.

Thanks again.

1 Like

@disneygirl14 and @Bndsc411 Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. S22 is very excited about seeing all that Berkeley has to offer! I am too!!

4 Likes

Great suggestions you’ve been given! Add to those a visit to the Rose Garden, north of campus on Euclid Ave. While you are there, turn down Rose Street (it’s perpendicular to Euclid) and walk half a block – on the left you’ll find the most interesting and creative Little Free Library I’ve ever seen anywhere. And if you have time to wander a bit, the wisteria throughout our neighborhoods is just spectacular at the moment. Pick up a copy of the Berkeley Path Wanderers Association map (at pretty much any bookstore) and wind your way through the hills, using the lovingly restored paths/steps that were first cut to help hill residents make their way down to the streetcar lines (lines that unfortunately no longer exist). Look for all of the quirky yard art and house art that makes Berkeley so funky and unique! It’s everywhere once you start to look. Enjoy! PATH LIST — Berkeley Path Wanderers Association

7 Likes

Wow, you’ve really made it sound amazing. I can’t wait for S22 to see it! I don’t think either of us have any idea what to expect!

3 Likes

@Evie800 We are headed there next week, too! @disneygirl14 @Bndsc411 Appreciate your suggestions, as well!

3 Likes

do you guys know of anyone getting their admission offer revoked because of bad grades second semester? i had straight a’s 9-12 first semester but is currently getting straight b’s second semester.