UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

It is for both
We plan to go
Any advice on the best place to stay by anyone would be appreciated
Thanks

Look to see if there’s room at the Residence Inn downtown (Central near Shattuck). It’s brand new and directly across from campus.

Thanks. It is full already unfortunately

in terms of what is posted on the UC website in terms of GPA 25% - 75% - is that unweighted GPA or weighted GPA? thank you!

Both. They list the unweighted 10-11 UC GPA as well as the weighted uncapped 10-11 UC GPA.

The UC website shows the Capped Weighted UC GPA ranges. All UC’s will consider the Unweighted UC GPA, Capped weighted UC GPA and Fully Weighted UC GPA. Only UCLA and UCB will post their Fully weighted UC GPA range on their individual Freshman profiles.

We’ve stayed at the hyatt place in Emeryville and tooknan uber to campus for parents weekend before. It worked perfectly. Or if have your own car, you can look at walnut creek area hotels. If you can’t find any good places nesr campus. We’ve found they book up quickly on special cal days, so if you haven’t booked, they’re likely to be full or way overpriced.

2 Likes

Or take BART from Walnut Creek or other places near BART stations to the downtown Berkeley station, which is a block west of campus.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the suggestions

There are new Peregrine falcons on the way! One of the male falcon was found run over a vehicle earlier last week.There is a new male falcon who is helping with incubation and prey delivery.

Watch the events unfold at https://twitter.com/CalFalconCam/media

2 Likes

Hello! We are from AZ as well (Chandler). My S22 is still deciding between UMich and UCB and will probably decide after Cal Day. I do know a few folks that have committed from AZ…what HS is your son at?

Hello—he’s graduating from Basis Oro Valley. Good to hear from another fellow Arizonan—we will be at Cal Day too (my husband is taking him). I’ll message you and maybe they can schedule a meet up.

For sure! There are quote a few kids i know from Chandler that are committing to UCB so he will have company!

1 Like

On another note, im a first time college mom and trying to figure out just how/what to send him with (e.g. does he hold his SSN card or do I, how many days do i hang around after move in day, bank accounts etc). Does anyone know if there is a thread here in CC or elsewhere?

3 Likes

Talk to me about Theater and Performance Studies at Cal!

Hi couple of questions

1. UC application had a place for SAT scores in one of the sections. Will that be used for anything for admitted students ( I heard for class placement etc, not sure though)

2. College of L&S / joining as undeclared - at the declaring majors, are they capped capacity wise( e.g. highly impacted majors like Economics etc) . Do students know what the criteria would be to get the major they want ?

Thanks in advance

1. The SAT EBRW score of 680 can be used to satisfy the UC entry level writing requirement, as described at https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/elwr/requirements/test-scores-grades.html . If not satisfied by a test score (ACT, SAT, AP, IB) or a transferable college course, you need to take the writing placement exam, described at Entry Level Writing Requirement | University of California .
  2. Some L&S majors are capped or capacity limited. They are listed at Declare or Change a Major | L&S Advising . The criteria to declare each major can be found in the major’s entry at Degree Programs < University of California, Berkeley or on the department web site. Usually, this is meeting specified grade or GPA requirements in prerequisite courses, although art practice also requires a portfolio and a letter recommendation.
5 Likes

Has anyone got any specifics to Cal Day? I’m having a hard time finding details…Attending Cal Poly’s this weekend and it’s extremely detailed and specific for each college.

It looks like they just updated https://calday.berkeley.edu/ with a note to register via the MAP@Berkeley portal to get a schedule of events.

The Cal Day schedule is already out for some of the colleges. I found the following 2 after a brief search:
College of Engineering: Cal Day 2023 - Berkeley Engineering
College of Natural Resources: https://nature.berkeley.edu/advising/cal-day-2022

I have not tried other colleges yet.

3 Likes