UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

My daughter just got an email from the school asking her to download an app which will contain Cal Day detailed information, so please ask your kids about it.

My son just got the same email with a passphrase for the app.

Thanks guys!

We just had a welcome/meet the advisor meeting for the GMP.
The stats are insane. 55 out of 4,000 applicants were selected

2 Likes

Gumbymom. Since you previously asked I think my Daughter is going to go this way and turn down Chicago, BC and Northeastern. She needs to talk to the school counselor next week to finalize
Once again thank you so much for all you do for others in this forum

3 Likes

Got it too

Sounds like a great opportunity for your daughter. Best of luck to her.

FPF: Pros? Cons?

A post was split to a new thread: Duke vs. UCLA for Biology Pros and Cons

Best of luck to her. If you stick around on CC, I would be interested in hearing more about her experiences in GMP.

I will. I also went ahead and created a thread for parents of GMP.
The logistics are a little complicated
She would need to start June 19 with summer classes. Will need to apply for summer housing.
Then would leave for London August 12, immediately after summer classes end.
From London will need to apply for Spring semester housing
30 kids from the previous year who could not experience London due to the pandemic will join this cohort
So 85 if all accepted kids decide to commit.
As parents we need to think about clothing for summer at Berkeley and clothing for fall in London, picking up her stuff, etc
We are in LA, but wonder about kids from out of state.
Nevertheless, it appears as a thrilling cohort experience
They will have the first graduation this year as the program started in 2018

1 Like

I am so excited for you. GMP was my D22 dream to get in. Keep us posted on the GMP experience.

Thanks. Hoping your DD gets a place that makes her happy. I am sure she will

1 Like

Sounds pretty packed. I’m not much aware of GMP, hearing through CC threads makes it look very interesting.

Studying abroad, wow that’s an awesome oppurtunity. Mine want to go to Europe especially France in study abroad program. Update us on all the exciting journey of your D. Good wishes all the way from bay area.

Thanks. Will do.
As it was explained by the professor advisor, there are advantages for this program in comparison to the regular HAAS Business program, including straight admission into HAAS, as opposed to competing with others in the school of Letters and Science to be accepted as a Junior (only 30% will make)
Also small classes, except for the general requirement classes
The study abroad is like a long field trip with the other students in your class. Certainly different than the individual study abroad courses that can be found in other colleges.
It is sort of an experiment to enhance HAAS international visibility and engagement

4 Likes

That’s insane congrats to your daughter!

Thanks

Wondering if there will be opportunity to see the dorms during the Cal day this year?

@Gumbymom What are the important things the kids need to register for and sign up for once they commit? Also, do they stop using the MAP@Berkeley site now because that was purely for admissions notifications? S22 set up his Calnet ID but isn’t sure what it is for. Thank you!

You should review your Conditions of Admission at MAP@Berkeley – as well as the detailed Cal Central Task list – for a list of all required official documents and information about how to request each.

Find out the Details for the Golden Bear orientation. Getting Started - Golden Bear Orientation

Check your Berkeley email account regularly for important information and updates.

After you accept your offer of admission apply for housing before the housing application deadline using your CalNet credentials.

1 Like