UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Thank you, I’m a STEM major.

The Foothill dorms (and Stern) are by the northeast corner of the main campus.

General campus areas:

• Northeast: engineering, CS (Soda), math (Evans), chemistry, physics, economics (Evans).
  • Southeast: most social sciences, business, law, environmental design (Bauer Wurster), music, some humanities, ethnic and area studies (Stephens).
  • Northwest: natural resources, biology.
  • Southwest: recreational sports facility, health center (Tang).
  • Central: libraries (Moffitt, Doe), largest lecture hall (Wheeler).
  • Central west: biology (VLSB, Weill), humanities (Dwinelle).
  • West: psychology (Berkeley Way West), public health (Berkeley Way West), Fall Program for Freshman (1995 University Avenue).

https://www.berkeley.edu/map

However, class lecture and discussion may be in any building with a suitable room. Labs will more likely be in buildings associated with their departments.

2 Likes

I got foothill suit triple… stem major so maybe why? kind of disappointed since both foothill and a triple weren’t my options

Wow, looks like we drew a terrible lottery number: ended up with a temporary quad room in Unit 2. Very disappointing, especially considering that none of the towers were on our list. Considering that these quad rooms used to be lounges, do the doors even lock? Major bummer.

S22 got a triple in Unit 1. Generally what he wanted - so no complaints here.

3 Likes

For those with visibility to the on-campus housing decision, could you note how to see it? I don’t have access to the portal and D apparently can’t find it.

He needs to click apply for housing and follow the prompts. There he will see the option to open back up his submitted app.

1 Like

My kid got an email with the offer in his Berkeley email. Also, in Cal Central there is a new “student task” with the housing offer. The student can click on that and follow the links to see what housing they were given.

1 Like

Are you an incoming female-identifying freshman interested in Computer Science (no experience necessary)?

Apply to CS Kickstart, a one-week in-person program in August before freshmen orientation! You will:

• Participate in an immersive program free of cost!
  • Meet other women interested in technology before your first day of class
  • Interact with Berkeley professors, upperclassmen, and industry professionals
  • Learn Python, Web Dev, and Data Science skills

Application due June 7th (ONE WEEK FROM TODAY)!!

More info on cs-kickstart.berkeley.edu, email cskickstart@gmail.com with questions

2 Likes

Question about Golden Bear Advising : My son is out of town right now, and I know the due date to finish this is June 21st. My question is will there be an issue if he does it close to the deadline, or should he do it as soon as possible?
Thanks in advance!

Golden Bear Advising - Golden Bear Orientation says “Important Note: You must complete Golden Bear Advising in order to connect with your Academic Adviser and to enroll in classes.

So not doing it in a timely manner may mean delays in being able to register for classes, which could mean fewer choices if the preferred choices are filled up by those who registered earlier.

1 Like

I think finishing before the 21st should be fine since freshman enrollment doesn’t start until July 14th.

1 Like

Hi - thanks for the post. do you know what the dates are? I could not glean the information from the web site.

Hi - My D22 took AP Spanish in senior year but did not take the college board AP exam. for some of the topics she is exploring, looks like AP Spanish could have met the language requirements. Does she have to redo Spanish in college or is there a way she can take just the exam ( at or outside college)? Thanks in advance

Check out this link: Foreign Language Requirement < University of California, Berkeley

You should check with her department major also to see if her AP Spanish class will fulfill the requirement.

1 Like

My daughter is a rising junior at Cal.
For anyone concerned about the cost & availability of housing beyond freshman year, I highly recommend looking into various cooperative housing opportunities in the area.
My daughter joined a sorority & lives in her sorority house near campus. Our cost for housing, chef-prepared weekday meals & dues last year was less than $12K. My daughter isn’t a stereotypical sorority girl (quiet, non-partier) & still found a chapter that suited her perfectly.
She’s also in Cal Band, which has their own house, Tellefsen Hall, which is also reasonably priced & has similar accommodations as her sorority house. There are other cooperative housing communities around Cal. You can check with the Berkeley Student Cooperative for information on their off campus co-ops.

3 Likes

My kids have several female friends at Cal who did the same thing - joined a sorority so they had housing options close to campus.

1 Like

Yes, I suggest if any female-identifying student is interested in Cal sorority recruitment to give it a try. Saving money has been fantastic, but the close connections my daughter has made have been invaluable. Cal can be huge and unforgiving at times, and having empathetic “sisters” to come home to at the end of the day has often been a relief for my daughter.

1 Like

Spanish Language Program | Spanish and Portuguese suggests that those with four years of high school Spanish (AP level is considered fourth year or higher) are likely to be ready for Spanish 3 (third semester) at UCB. On that web page, she can also check the skills listed for each Spanish course to see if she knows that level of Spanish as taught at UCB, so that she would be ready for the next course.

I.e. she may not have to redo Spanish starting from Spanish 1, but may have to take a suitably more advanced Spanish course to fulfill whatever requirement she may be looking at.

Note: the L&S foreign language general education requirement accepts third year of high school foreign language, so if she passed an AP course (which is considered fourth year or higher), that fulfills it.

1 Like

Thanks.