UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

D22 submitted request for AP scores to be sent to college. Deadline is July 15 however this latest year AP results are our July 5. College comms say if we order now , they will receive AP scores mid July. Do they provide any grace period for receiving the AP scores after the deadline?

hey, does uc berkeley provide grace period in terms of getting your official high school transcript in? or will i get rescinded for not sending it in on time. i’m just preparing for worst case scenario rn since my high school doesn’t participate in parchment, so everything is sent through mail. the thing is it has to be sent in a school envelope which i dont think the school has and sealed and signed with a signature from the school. or is it possible to just drop it off by myself to their office since i live like an hour away from berkeley? thanks

Hi - My D22 got a Unit 1 RH std triple offer notification yesterday. Thanks for the info and best wishes.

1 Like

Hi - after Cal confirms housing offer, when do the students get to know who they are sharing rooms with? on the day of move-in? or ahead of time through the housing app? Thanks

I’m not positive, but I’ve been hearing that they either hear in the housing app a week from move-in, or not at all (so meet their roommates when they move in.) Would be nice to know even a week out so they could coordinate things to bring. I know they all get the microwave/refrigerator…but what about a small vacuum or coffee maker…would be nice not to end up with three of each…

I believe they let you know roommates sometime in mid-July after fall enrollment is complete. Not sure where I heard this but remember something like this on one of the forums.

2 Likes

Thanks @Evie800 , @ucscuuw

One question on the meal plan - do swipes allow student to get take out instead of eating there in the dining hall? From a few YouTube videos ( pre pandemic) , website it was not clear whether students need to eat there or take out. Thanks

There is a lot more discussion and traffic on the UC Berkeley Class or 2026 Facebook page these days than here on CC. You will probably get a faster answer here as there seem to be a lot of parents with older kids already attending Berkeley.

1 Like

Be careful about sharing personal information on FB groups administered by Humans of University or the like.

The official student page is run by UC Berkeley. I would look for a parent page that is run by a more reputable entity.

1 Like

Our family ate at the Foothill dining hall at Cal Day. I didn’t see anyone keeping track if kids were to-go or eating in. I don’t think Cal cares. They know students are busy and will having different preferences and schedules. It’s just a certain amount of meal swipes per week.

Got it. Nice to know parents ( as outsiders) are allowed to dine at these dining halls. I would love to check out what fare they offer.

1 Like

Did anyone receive any notice or email about actual time slot for move-in? There seems to be a parent orientation too. Does anyone know the schedule?

As far as I understand it, students will be able to sign up for a specific move in time when they get their final housing assignment in a few weeks. I’ve told my kid to be very aware of his gmail account because we’ll hope to sign up for the earliest move in time.
In the Parent Newsletter email I received, the parent information orientations on Aug. 16 and 17 were listed as time TBA

Thank you. I hope we will get a notice or an email soon.

1 Like

Hi - any feedback on the Student health insurance Berkeley offers. I think there is a July 15th deadline to confirm if we are not signing up. Seems to be per semester ( medical, dental, vision) around $2000. Any pros/cons to consider?

Our family is waiving SHIP, because we have Kaiser (which has facilities near Berkeley) and need to save the money. Cal won’t waive SHIP unless the student’s current medical insurance meets very specific parameters. We are working on the questionnaire now and the questions are quite detailed.

1 Like

With Kaiser insurance, can the students access Berkeley facilities ( nearby hospitals) or do they have to go to Kaiser only?

There is a Kaiser hospital and medical offices about 4 miles away in Oakland. Our Kaiser insurance only covers visits at Kaiser, unless it was an emergency ER type situation.
However, it’s my understanding that all students regardless of SHIP or no SHIP can access the Cal Tang center on campus. The costs might vary depending on your insurance/copays/what the student’s medical needs are, etc. Definitely call them if you have specific questions.
https://uhs.berkeley.edu/ship

2 Likes

All UCs allow students who waive out of UC SHIP to access their student health centers. The fees vary by campus.

On the FAQ page, the second to last quesstion is, " If I waive SHIP can I still use the University Health Services at the Tang Center?" The answer is “Yes, all registered UC Berkeley students can be seen at the University Health Services, regardless of the type of insurance they have.”

You can view the fees with and without SHIP on the Cashier’s Office Fee Schedule.

2 Likes