UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Berkeley is the only UC that has an optometry school. They accept many insurance plans and offer a 20/20 discount to non SHIP students.

Move in time slots are now available to reserve in Cal Central.

1 Like

FYI log in to the housing portal to reserve time slot for the move-in

There is a Kaiser clinic in Berkeley. My Cal student takes the bus there for Dr. appointments.

2 Likes

Where can we sign up to receive the parent newsletter?

I believe my husband and I started getting emails after our student included our contact info. in one of the many Cal Central tasks for emergency contacts.
https://calparents.berkeley.edu/update/
Heres a link to sign up for the monthly Letter Home and Berkeley Online communications.

I think many of the communications came from our student completing the “Parent Information Form” under New Student Tasks in Cal Central.

1 Like

Anyone whose kid was accepted as a CS major this year, would you be willing to share their stats and extracurriculars?

My S22 was accepted as a humanities major so I’m only familiar with the types of things kids interested in arts and literature do in high school. My nephew wants to get into Berkeley in CS and wants advice but I know nothing about CS. He will be starting as a freshman in high school this fall. Any thoughts appreciated!

There are two ways to do CS at UCB. Here is a comparison chart:
https://eecs.berkeley.edu/academics/undergraduate/eecs-cs-comparison-chart

However, there are various proposals to change how admission to L&S CS is done, so the process may be different by the time your high school pre-frosh gets to the point of applying to colleges.

Below are admission rates by division at UCB. EECS is in CoE, and is probably one of the more selective majors in CoE (so admit rates are likely lower).

From OPA – University of California Berkeley , choose the Academic Indicators tab. “Last updated on October 22, 2021” for the “last 3 complete application cycles”.

GPA appears to be weighted, not capped. Calculate using GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

Admission rates only:

GPA L&S CoE CoC CNR CED
3.800-4.000 6.3% 2.7% 4.5% 11.5% 8.7%
4.001-4.199 10.6% 3.9% 8.2% 23.7% 14.7%
4.200-4.399 21.8% 8.8% 17.5% 38.9% 29.1%
4.400-4.599 34.8% 16.4% 33.3% 53.0% 39.5%
4.600-4.799 40.9% 21.4% 39.6% 52.4% 49.4%
4.800-5.000 41.5% 20.7% 36.2% 46.1% 43.0%

Thank you! I saw that Berkeley just announced that they are going to try to open a separate department for CS. It will be interesting to see how large that department will be and if they will be accepting more students.

If any students are waiting for IB exam results, they might be available to see in Cal Central, if the HS already requested exam results to be sent. My kid could see them under “My Academics” and then “Exam Results”. A day early for IB test results.

Do you have a link to this announcement?

@ucbalumnus
Here is the link. It does say “may open” but it seems like a good sign.

https://www.dailycal.org/2022/06/28/uc-berkeley-proposes-college-for-computing-data-science/

Seems to come from this announcement:

However, that will take some time to go through all of the steps, if it does go through.

Hi - any tips or best practices for the course registration ( today seems to be the D day) . D22 has worked on her course list and options if she does not get her courses of choice. It sounds like there will be this rush after noon pst to start enrolling. she is nervous about “what if I don’t get what I want for the major” scenarios. Thanks in advance for any pointers/best practices.

There’s a good short video with tips on instagram @Caladmissions. Some of them were make sure you have good Wi-Fi, check classes 20 minutes before your time to see if any are full, refresh page 3 min. before registration time, make sure you have backups, etc. Hopefully your student got some feedback from an advisor. My student is in FPF and the advisor stressed prioritizing breadth courses, GE requirements, major prerequisites, etc. Good luck! It is a little stressful, but I’m sure it will work out for our kids :slight_smile:

1 Like

Presumably, she has a priority order of courses that are most important to her. For example, courses that start a prerequisite sequence for her intended major are likely the most important.

If she has AP scores that may give advanced placement, check for each major what advanced placement is allowed. UC Berkeley Letters and Sciences AP Credit Policy - #3 by ucbalumnus is a summary for L&S majors with links, but since it is a few years old, the department web sites should be used to verify in case there have been changes since then. For other divisions (CoE, CoC, CNR, CED, Business), go to the division-level web site to find AP score policies.

If unsure whether to take advanced placement with an AP score, consider trying the old exams of the courses that are allowed to be skipped: Exam and Syllabus Database - Tau Beta Pi, California Alpha Chapter

2 Likes

Thank you @ucbalumnus and @socofam . appreciate the pointers. She got the courses on her wish list.

2 Likes

Berkeley calendar says spring semester begins on Jan 10, 2023 and the instruction begins on Jan 17. If we are planning a winter trip , should we be considering Jan 10 or Jan 17 as the reporting day? Thanks

Class starts on January 17th.

1 Like