UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2026 Discussion

Hi - IS FERPA available for students to sign on the UCB portal when they turn 18? Also where can I find HEalthcare Power of Attorney type documents? Is this a long, laborious process ( w/ lawyers/ courts involved or do we just get it notarized) . Thanks in advance for the pointers.

Hi - couple of questions on Golden Bear Orientation. What is the late night programming on the agenda? Would they include going off campus? I am assuming students will be going in groups.

I just bought the forms off Mama Bear forms: Checking Referral Status
You don’t have to use this link but it gives you a discount and I would get an Amazon card. But many people I know used these forms. I filled out most of it online, printed it and my son went and got them notarized this morning. It was super easy.

1 Like

I’m hoping they stay on campus and attend university organized events. My son said they were going to be put in groups of 20 random students with a group leader and that they were supposed to do everything together. (I’m guessing he read this in an email or orientation information.) He has no idea who is in his group yet. I like that there is supposed to be a leader responsible for each group.

1 Like

OK, good to know. Thanks

Berkeley 2022 admit stats are out. And it was as expected a continuation of a tough admissions trend.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/campuses-majors/berkeley/freshman-admit-data.html

Overall admit rate was 11.4%, down from 14.5% in 2021 and 17.6% in 2019.

UCLA reported an 8.4% admit rate!!!

1 Like

Overall 12,520K more applicants and 795 fewer acceptances.

Summary of '21 vs '22 UC acceptances.

Aren’t these numbers going to change since UCB, UCLA have agreed to take more in-state students and reduce OOS, International students starting 2023?

LA Times ran an article about it this morning. It is behind a paywall but this Yahoo copy of the article is not.

1 Like

Seems like at the top UCs yield is going up.
“Because more students offered admission are accepting it — about 54% in 2021 compared with 44% in 2011 — UCLA does not need to make as many admission offers to hit its enrollment targets as in the past, Copeland-Morgan said”

1 Like

That page notes that some campuses reduced admission offers overall (but by a greater percentage for out-of-state students) while increasing the size of the waitlist, because they are cautious about overenrolling.

1 Like

Feeling ridiculously grateful. I still find myself whispering when I tell people S22 got into Berkeley…for fear of any UC AO hearing and saying…“Oh, wait, your son? Oh that was an accident. We’re retracting our offer.” :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Looks like the following happened:

• Applications surged
  • Enrollment stayed flat or was reduced to compensate for over enrollment last year
  • Yields have gone up compared to prior years

So admit rates had to go down dramatically and changing the mix to increase in-state representation will cause greater yield which will in turn affect next year’s enrollment management.

2 Likes

More info and data about admissions.

Also, Admits by Ethnicity

3 Likes

Hi - D22 signed up student health insurance at Berkeley . Move in check list has insurance card, doctor’s contact, etc. Is the card something students receive on day of move in when they go there? For doctor’s contact , till now she had Kaiser. So what do we need to do for Doctor’s contact? Is there a univ /berkeley hospital that students frequent that we need to approach? Any pointers on this will be appreciated. Thanks

“Late Night Programming offers opportunities to get to know campus and its surroundings and experience entertainment at and around Cal. More importantly, Late Night Programming allows new students to bond and have fun with their groups and other new Cal students! While programming is scheduled all night, these events are optional”

2 Likes

Does volunteering demonstrate personal characteristics. Your second bullet point?

Not sure whom you are responding to in this discussion. The discussion is for in-coming Freshman at UCB. If you have specific questions about UCB or other UC’s, you should start a new discussion in the UC General forum. University of California - GENERAL - College Confidential Forums

I did not know that we are not supposed to ask in other forums. This post along with many others was there on the page that I logged into and I decided to ask what they meant by personal characteristics. Honestly, I did not know there were restrictions on which forums we can post in. I assumed we can post anywhere we are interested in.

There are not any restrictions but since your student is a rising HS Sophomore, there are more appropriate discussions to post your questions. This discussion is geared toward Fall 2022 applicants/admits.

Also tag the specific post or poster if asking a question using @name.