UC Berkeley Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

Is that possibly the same for people who got in as an appeal?

Are you seeing “forbidden” too?

Does anyone know if Berkeley will accept end of year transcripts for senior year if you are on the waitlist? Is it worth sending one?

This statement is from the Waitlist FAQ:

Should spaces become available, our review will focus primarily on your original application.

I would contact admissions before sending any additional documentation. If they are true to their word, the final transcript will have no impact on their decisions.

Could you post a link to the FAQ please. Is calling the admissions a red flag?

The FAQ’s are on post #3 which were originally posted on the student portal to opt into the waitlist.

I will post again.

New waitlist information for 2023.
Waitlist Frequently Asked Questions

We realize that many students who learn that they have been offered a waitlist option to UC Berkeley will have many questions. We hope that the following information responds to some of the questions you may have regarding our admission decisions and is helpful in understanding the waitlist process.

General Questions

Q: What is the waitlist?
A:
The waitlist is for first-year applicants who were not offered admission due to space limitations but who are considered excellent candidates for admission should space become available in the current admissions cycle. Being on the waitlist is not a guarantee of receiving an offer of admission at a later date. Because there is no guarantee, it is important that you consider other offers of admission, and accept an offer at another university, prior to the national decision day of May 1, 2023.

Q: I had good grades and test scores. Why wasn’t I admitted?
A:
Each year, over the last decade, UC Berkeley has experienced significant increases in the number of applications received. Because the number of first-year enrollment spaces has remained relatively constant, admission to Berkeley has become much more competitive. This year was no exception. For Fall 2023, we received more than 125,000 first-year applications.

Q: Can I challenge the admission decision?
A:
Appeals may only be filed by students who are denied admission. Since the waitlist offer is not a final admission decision, the appeals process is not available. In order to express your interest in our campus and to share more information for consideration, you may opt-in to the waitlist, by April 15, 2023.

Q: Is there any restriction about who can be on the waitlist?
A:
Yes. The waitlist option is limited to first-year applicants by invitation only. If invited, you must opt in by midnight, April 15, 2023.

Q: Am I on the waitlist automatically?
A:
No, you received an offer for space on the waitlist, but you need to tell us if you want remain on the waitlist. Please go to MAP@Berkeley , and follow the instructions to remain on the waitlist (opt in). Remember, if you want to remain on the waitlist, you MUST let us know by 11:59 PM, April 15, 2023 Pacific Time.

Q: What are my chances of being admitted to UC Berkeley after being on the waitlist?
A:
Because we will not know until early May whether any spaces will become available and because the waitlist is not ranked, our staff will not be able to forecast any student’s chances of being admitted. Should spaces become available, our review will focus primarily on your original application. The percent of students admitted from the waitlist depends on the number of enrollment spaces we have available and the number of students who opt-in to the waitlist.

Q: Does visiting the campus increase my chances of being admitted from the waitlist?
A:
No. Our office will make decisions based on the original application and the information in the waitlist opt-in form, only. Additionally, Admissions will not be able to provide interviews or personal appointments for students on the waitlist.

Q: How will I find out if I get an offer of admission?
A:
The review of candidates and available spaces will continue through the month of May. You will receive an email directing you to MAP@Berkeley , and will have seven days from the time of notification to accept the offer by accepting your offer of admission. To check your status, please login to MAP@Berkeley .

Q: Can I opt to be on a waitlist for more than one UC campus?
A:
Yes, you can opt to be included on more than one waitlist, if the option is offered to you by multiple campuses. (Each campus maintains its own waitlist.) If you subsequently receive offers of admission, you may accept only one. If you accept an admission offer from a campus after you have accepted an offer to another, you must rescind your acceptance to the first campus. The deposit paid to the first campus will not be refunded or applied to the second campus.

Waitlist Process

Q: What do I do if I am admitted?
A:
Waitlisted students who receive offers of admission from UC Berkeley must accept your offer of admission, through CalCentral. You will be notified of the deadline to accept your offer of admission, if you are admitted. The guide for how to accept your offer can be found in CalCentral.

It is important that you complete all other required documentation, including accepting your Conditions of Admission, by all specified deadlines.

Q: What Can I Expect if I Receive an Offer of Admission?
A:
Depending on space available, students selected from the waitlist may have limited enrollment pathways, which may be different from a student offered admission earlier in the admissions cycle. For example, applicants to the College of Letters and Science may receive an offer that comes in the form of an offer to join Fall Program for First Semester to start their Berkeley career. Depending upon available space, one or both of these programs may be your only enrollment pathway option(s) if you are admitted from the waitlist. Before you opt-in, be sure to visit the websites for these unique programs to learn more and determine if they are a good fit. Should space be available, both programs are great ways to commence your Berkeley experience.

Q: How long will I have to accept the offer of admission?
A:
Approximately one week. You will have seven days from the time of notification to accept the offer by accepting your offer of admission, including the day you are notified. Your individual deadline date will be fixed; no extensions will be granted.

Q: What if I already accepted an offer to another campus?
A:
If you are offered admission to UC Berkeley and have already accepted an offer of admission to another college or university, you can still accept your offer. You will need to accept your offer to UC Berkeley and rescind your acceptance at the other campus. The deposit to the first campus will not be refunded.

Housing and Financial Aid

Q: If I’m admitted off the waitlist, will I still be eligible for financial aid?
A:
Yes. If you applied for financial aid and submitted your FAFSA to UC Berkeley on time, you will be able to see an estimate of your financial aid at MAP@Berkeley .

Q: If I am admitted off the waitlist, do I still receive the housing priority?
A:
Yes, waitlisted admitted students will receive a housing offer, IF you complete the housing application by the deadline to accept your offer of admission and you indicate “any room, any location” as one of your preferences. Housing priority can be jeopardized if you do not meet your deadline to accept your offer of admission. Please check MAP@Berkeley for more information.

regarding portal astrology, how does it work for appeals? if you got FFT is that automatic reject? What about waitlist? What about accept? And when are they coming out

Sorry, not sure bout appeals. I haven’t been following the thread closely.

@derulz
Has your source code changed from FFT to FTT yet?

I haven’t checked. From my understanding, that changes right before the decision email comes out? Trying to not think too much bout it cuz I just came back from orientation for my current school and I’m super excited bout going there. Strange considering how disappointed I was on March 30th. Time does really heal all wounds.

3 Likes

When are appeal decisions coming out, with all seriousness ;w;

Last year, some students heard about their appeal decisions on June 6 which were denials so it can be anytime now.

How much longer do you think it will be for waitlists, the wait is so inconvenient especially for international students!

1 Like

I have no idea. They will keep the waitlist open until they reach their target enrollment. Last year and the year before they closed the waitlist in July.

1 Like

Is Data Science considered an impacted major? If I decided to enroll in the FPF program, will it increase my chance of being admitted to the school?

Data Science is a High Demand major. I do not know if enrolling in the FPF program will give you an advantage since I have not seen any waitlist admits that have gotten into the FPF program yet.

Is Data Science and Civil Engineering in the same level of impact, or is Civil Engineering easier to gain admission to?

Civil Engineering is not a High Demand major and had around a 16% admit rate for 2022. Data Science had a 8.3% admit rate in 2022.

Are waves coming out on a weekly basis or what, how does it work?

Each year varies and there is no set pattern on how and when admits will be posted. It all depends upon where UCB has spots open.

So far this year there has been admits on May 8 and May 23 that have been reported here.