UC Berkeley incoming freshman schedule [molecular environmental biology major]

Hello I’m attending UC berkeley in the fall and I’m not sure how good my first semester schedule is i was wondering if I could get some advice. Right now I’m intending to do

Chem 1A
Chem 1A Lab
ESPM 50 AC
Stats 2
Freshmen seminar

Should I be doing more difficult classes like getting my R1B out of the way (I fulfilled R1A with ap score) instead of ESPM 50 AC or in addition to it? The ESPM class is a lower division requirement for my major MEB, but I heard it’s easy. I’m just not too sure what to expect in regards to difficulty adjusting/workload and how much free time I’ll have since it’s like only 3 subjects pretty much.

Don’t overload yourself your first semester. Chip away the at requirements and try to take something you’re genuinely looking forward to and interested in. But keep your number of courses at a minimum. Givr yourself at least a semester to adjust to college life and to find your (new) rhythm.

Have you spoken with your advisor about this schedule?

One more tip: I’m not sure how popular these specific classes are, but many classes do fill up and it is not uncommon for a freshman to get shut out of a class or two that they had planned to take. Make at least one alternative schedule with a few different classes (or at least class times if a class has more than one section) and be prepared to be a bit flexible.

2 Likes

I agree with the previous poster, don’t overload yourself first semester. I think this schedule looks fine, but as previously stated, have multiple back up plans in case you don’t get the classes you want. My son has a variety of back ups selected because we just don’t know what will actually be available.

This is a good plan. ESPM 50AC is an interesting class and will help you fill American Cultures requirement. Stat 2 and Chem 1A/AL are both requirements for your major and the freshman seminar will be a nice GPA booster. All in all I like it a lot. DOn’t worry about R1B - just take it during the summer online at another CC.

Thank you very much for the advice! I will stick with this course load but I’ll definitely go ahead and make those backup plans. I did end up speaking to my advisor and he gave me tips on what requirements I can work on just in case Chem gets filled. Much appreciated