UC Berkeley Supplemental Review

<p>Has anybody heard about this before? I was just sent an e-mail saying that I was in a small group of people that they contacted that they sent a questionnaire. They also said I could include a letter of rec. and my semester grades if they were ready, and if not to not bother waiting for them. They said they want it back in 10 days. All the questions are regarding a ‘special talent’ that I mentioned on my application and how it has affected me, how I would pursue it at Berkeley etc. What do you think? If it was just more review I’m confused as to why they’re so focused on my one ‘special talent’.</p>

<p>My understanding is that Cal (and I think UCLA) sends supplements to borderline applicants. So it’s very important you answer the questions with care! :slight_smile: It sounds like they’re interested in whether you’ll be continuing whatever talent you have at Berkeley (maybe a department is looking at you or something). Why don’t you speak to your guidance counselor about this asap?</p>

<p>Here’s a helpful thread from last year</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/636165-uc-berkeley-supplemental-freshman-questionnaire.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/636165-uc-berkeley-supplemental-freshman-questionnaire.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>They are looking for a reason to accept you. Your numbers must be borderline, or you are first gen (or possess other UC plus factor, such as low income) so this is a chance to shine elsewhere on the app.</p>

<p>does anyone have an idea of how long the responses should be for each questions or if there is a word limit?</p>

<p>damn, i never got one of those. i guess im gonna get rejected. i know my stats arent good enough for berkeley…</p>

<p>There are at least three kinds of supplementary applications and they are issued for different reasons. Some are for those who mentioned any kind of disability in their application, some are for those who mentioned some special talent, and some are simply for the small number of applications right on the border between accept and reject.</p>

<p>For the OP with a special talent, it is because the admissions commitee of Cal (and any good university) wants to create a diverse and interesting student body, including people with various talents not simply the top test takers and grade earners. If they can find a national champion voilinist, a published novelist or some other interesting achievement, that person adds to the richness of life for all Cal students. With the right talent or ability or achievement, someone who is otherwise well below borderline might be given a spot. </p>

<p>If your supplement asks about disabilities and challenges, it is one type of review. If it asks about talents and achievements, it is another. If it mentions neither disability nor talent, you are right on the borderline and they are looking for more data to make a decision - augmented review is the formal name for this, the most common of the supplementary questionaire requests. </p>

<p>For all types of supplementary requests, the admit percentages is noticeably higher than for the overall applicant pool</p>

<p>hey thx,</p>

<p>this really helped clarify things. i think i’m one of the “borderline” applicants…sigh…i hope i get accepted.</p>

<p>for everyone who got supplementals…is your background on myberkeley still blue? There is another thread where the posters were talking about the background going green after they reviewed your application or something. I think they have to be joking though. Anyway, good luck to everyone who submitted the supplemental essays! Those were more stressful for my sister than the regular one was.</p>

<p>i got it last year frmo both berkeley and ucla, i was rejected from both.</p>

<p>Oh man, looks like I was rejected =/ I didn’t get the supplement (only that survey) and I know that my stats weren’t good enough to be better than borderline.</p>

<p>ouch, that sucks hermanliu320. It’s what my sister’s afraid of. Did you get the talent one or another?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>UC is REALLY big about overcoming “adversity”…so write about if you can.</p>

<p>I just got this email. I put down on my application all of accomplishments in Lacrosse. Would it be a good idea to contact the coach at Cal? I know I could play for them if I wanted to (have offers from Michigan, UCSB, Colorado) but my GPA is a bit low 3.7 W even though I scored a 33 ACT and 36 on the science. Could I really be borderline? I thought it’d be kind of a reach lol.</p>

<p>I got this e-mail as well and I am not quite sure what to think. The upside is that this can only benefit us and will hopefully improve our chances of getting accepted. As for the length of my answers, I made each answer a short paragraph in length. I think they are looking for more straight forward answers.</p>

<p>So I got into Berkeley after this supplement, I think it really helped me out. I didn’t even consider it a possibility but now am ecstatic and think I will be going there come fall!!!</p>

<p>lol me 2 ilovenoah :D. Got the supplemental and got in :D</p>