UC Berkeley w/ Regents or UCLA

Hello everyone!

I have recently been admitted to UCB for L&S and applied as a biology major. I was hoping to visit them, but due to COVID, I will not be able to. I have a few worries that apply to both and some that apply to one.

Berkeley:
Pros- the $1000 research stipend, guaranteed housing, priority enrollment, twin brother also admitted. I also really loved talking to the Berkeley students at the Regents Interview and they seemed so motivated/ passionate/ willing to help. I am also passionate about politics, and Berk has a rich history- free speech movement, civil rights.

Cons- quarter system instead of semester, I hear its hypercompetitive (especially for pre-med/ biology), people talk of being “unhappy”, gloomy weather (I think still nice though, but I’m from SoCal w/ too high expectations). Does Cal have “quotas” for distributing grades or is that a myth?

UCLA
Pros- much closer to home, more general sentiments of “the work is difficult, but the atmosphere is more positive than UCB,” very familiar sunny SoCal weather. Many of my high school peers are choosing UCLA over Berkeley.

Cons- still quarter system, hypercompetitive (especially for premed)

Any insight would be so, so appreciated! Thank you for reading :slight_smile:

UC Berkeley is on the semester system on the quarter system. Pre-Med will be competitive everywhere and many classes at all the UC’s grade on a curve so not confined to UCB.

From a parent’s perspective, I found UCLA had happier students, nicer general location vs. UCB with a grittier feel and some questionable areas around the campus but I also want to clarify this was 4-5 years ago so things may have changed.

Only you can make the best decision for yourself, it is hard to turn down Regents at UCB which would give you a slight edge for Pre-Med with research opportunities and priority registration.

@Gumbymom It’s great to hear that UCB uses a semester system! There is just a general perception that pre-med at Berkeley is very difficult. But, I love what the Regents scholarship offers. Thank you for your insight!