UC Blue and Gold Program

<p>I keep reading that the threshold to qualify for this program is $70,000 income. Does anyone know if this is gross income, adjusted gross income or taxable income?</p>

<p>It’s most likely adjustable gross income.</p>

<p>It’s gross income. The plan is meant to help those who are truly low-income.</p>

<p>Where does it say Gross Income not AGI? It is kind of important.</p>

<p>Do you know if the income limit depends on how many children are attending UC’s? Seems like it should make a difference if it is 1 or 3.</p>

<p>jtforlini, my parents looked everywhere and all they could find was “income,” not gross, not adjusted gross, not taxable - just plain “income.” They only came across “median income.”</p>

<p>bioengr, my parents and I have googled and read everything we could find about the Blue and Gold Program (including memos sent to and from the UC’s) and I don’t recall seeing anything regarding the number of children attending UC’s. </p>

<p>I wish there was more info out there…</p>

<p>petiza (or anyone else in this thread),</p>

<p>Shoot the UC an e-mail. After starting college, I’ve found that being proactive is the only way to get certain information!</p>

<p>Great idea! I’ll post my findings…</p>

<p>my mom makes 20 k a year. single parent. i think i qualify :)</p>

<p>does anyone know if we applied and are accepted for fall of 2010 as a freshman and are eligible we can still get into this program? because i definitely meet all the qualifications but im not sure if it’s only for the 2009-2010 year. Is it also for 2010-2011 term? If so, I’m definitely going to a UC</p>

<p>It’s also for the 2010-2011 year. In fact, I believe the limit on the income ceiling to be eligible was raised from $60,000 in 2009-2010 to $70,000 for 2010-2011. </p>

<p>[UC</a> Blue and Gold Opportunity](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/blueandgold/]UC”>Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan | UC Admissions)</p>

<p>also, the blue and gold opportunity plan states that they will cover “system-wide fees”. what do these fees consist of? just tuition?</p>

<p>Yes, they are referring to tuition and only tuition, in all the UC campuses.</p>

<p>Re: What income figure is used</p>

<p>To apply for financial aid, including the Blue and Gold program, at the UC you must fill out the FAFSA. The FAFSA asks for your adjusted gross income - specifically line 37 of the 1040.</p>

<p>So it’s a $70,000 income limit whether you have one child attending or four?</p>

<p>According to the very sketchy description of the program, it does not take in to account how many kids are attending UC schools. You would think it should make a difference, but I don’t think the program description mentions anything about it. I think the EFC is a better criteria for Blue and Gold program than the family income. Just my two cents.</p>

<p>i just checked my estimated cost thing that came with my acceptance letter, but it just said i got gift aid from cal grant, federal pell grant, and scholarship recognition award. this doesn’t include the blue and gold program right?
also i think im gonna start applying for scholarships like crazy, even though it may be a little late (there’s some scholarships due in april). would this affect the amount of gift aid i already received?</p>

<p>Based on the UC Blue & Gold program description, your “UC scholarships” are part of the program award.</p>

<p>Outside gift aid will generally reduce your financial aid in this order: 1) unmet financial need, 2) unsubsidized loans, 3) subsidized loans or work-study, 4) grant money. So apply to as many scholarships as you can.</p>

<p>I was wondering about this as well.</p>

<p>Under the Gift Aid section, it lists: Pell Grant, Possible Cal Grant, UCSD Grant, Other Outside Grant.</p>

<p>Does anyone know what they mean by “Possible” Cal Grant?</p>

<p>I also notice that the amount for the Possible Cal Grant is the exact same amount as the Blue and Gold estimation amount. so is the Possible Cal Grant the same as the Blue and Gold award?</p>