UC BOARS 2012 Report on Comprehensive Review

<p>Written explanation of how the comprehensive/holistic review process works at each UC campus.</p>

<p>From <a href=“http://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/committees/boars/BOARSREPORTCOMPREHENSIVEREVIEW2012.pdf[/url]”>http://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/committees/boars/BOARSREPORTCOMPREHENSIVEREVIEW2012.pdf</a> (pages 26-33):

</p>

<p>This is interesting, thanks!</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p>Awesome, I didn’t know that about Davis. Thanks.</p>

<p>Quite frankly I’m shocked the campuses were that forthcoming with the information … or perhaps they forgot this information is made public.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is the most disturbing comment in the report, and would seem to explain some of the feelings of “randomness” to admission decisions. Just how do kids with very high fixed weight scores end up on the bottom of the list for holistic review? It would be great if a committee would review that subset of applicants to unveil any obvious biases that are creeping in to the holistic review process. Suspect that’s not going to happen!</p>

<p>I applied to UCI nursing and I’m still waiting for the results. I have a 4.12 UC GPA and 2050 on SAT I (2130 SUPERSCORE), 750 SATII CHEM, 790 SATII MATH LEVEL 2 AND 700 on Biology E. I received a supplemental questionaire from UCI and UC Davis in late January. My school has a high API score and I’m Asian. Both my parents attended universities outside the U.S.
So far, I got accepted to UCSB’s honors program and University of Michigan School of Nursing.
I’m a bit shocked to see that I still haven’t heard back from UCI - as I see that those who got the CHP and Regents acceptances are below my stats - especially for those who applied to nursing. (not to be offensive at all, but just being logical, that if my scores are higher I’m just wondering why I haven’t heard back from UCI)
Is this a result of the hollistic review process? I am DYING waiting for the results as UCI is one of my top choices because Michigan is far too expensive and I would really like to go into a nursing program.</p>

<p>Sally,
Congratulations on your acceptance to Michigan! That’s quite an achievement. I would be surprised if you don’t get in to Irvine, but I think the holistic review does tend to ding people who come from “privileged” backgrounds. Having 2 college educated parents doesn’t help. Ethnicity is not supposed to enter into UC decisions. If you are waitlisted or rejected you should read all of the useful information Ms Sun has posted about appeals. I seem to recall that at one UC some kids sent in appeals when they were waitlisted and they ended up getting accepted, even though an appeal should technically be submitted only after a rejection. Good luck to you!</p>